• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lse

Length of GBA development?

5 posts in this topic

Hi, I''m currently looking into Gameboy Advance development and to consider the business options (how much funding would be needed etc etc) I''d like to ask how long a typical GBA development takes, assuming you already have a detailed game design document in place? I realize that the length probably depends on the type of game so if it makes answering easier, you could consider: a) a Monopoly-like board game conversion b) a racing title like F-Zero Also, what do you think is a good programmer team size for a GBA project? (I''m thinking two?) Any answers you can give would really help me a lot! Lasse

Hi Lasse,

Well I''m currently getting involved with an AGB project that has a dev period of 6mnths with 3 programmers and 3 artists.

However, this is a huge game, you certainly won''t need as much time/programmers and artists for smaller projects.

2 programmers and I would say 2-4 months would be a good time for most projects.

Take this as a rough guidline, I''ve not started direct working with the system yet, but as a programmer by trade, I''ve started using the official libs and it seems very quick to work with.....so far anyway ;-)

Marc Lambert

marc@darkhex.com

Thanks Marc, this helps a bunch.

Another thing I''ve been thinking: I''ve heard comments that checking the free source & docs on the web (for instance, www.gbadev.org) is a very tedious and slow way of getting started.

Compared to this, what are the official Nintendo libraries like - how long does it take to learn your way around and begin real game programming assuming you are already a proficient programmer in the "regular" software industry?

(I''m sure you''re under an NDA with Nintendo so I''d be happy with an opinion without details.)

quote:
Original post by lse
Another thing I''ve been thinking: I''ve heard comments that checking the free source & docs on the web (for instance, www.gbadev.org) is a very tedious and slow way of getting started.

I''ve only briefly scanned some of these docs so I couldn''t really comment. I would imagine that they aren''t anywhere near as good as the official docs....yet anyway ;-)

quote:

Compared to this, what are the official Nintendo libraries like - how long does it take to learn your way around and begin real game programming assuming you are already a proficient programmer in the "regular" software industry?

Not long at all, the official libs are well documented and have plenty of code for show (it''s not brilliantly written code btw). It all depends on how much game coding you''ve done before. I found that game programming is a different ''mindset'' to general coding, it''s much less orientated on writting the best code, more focused on speed.....

Hope this helps!

Marc Lambert

marc@darkhex.com

Yeah, the free documents aren''t always really good. There are some good ones but when I started I had to test a lot of things because the specs weren''t complete or incorrect.

quote:
Original post by mlambert
However, this is a huge game, you certainly won't need as much time/programmers and artists for smaller projects.

Btw, what do you consider to be "a huge game" for GBA? Do any of the so far launched titles fit that description? Just trying to get some perspective here...

Edited by - lse on August 16, 2001 3:36:26 AM