RPS / SRPG JOBS

Started by
5 comments, last by Janju 22 years, 8 months ago
I have finished my list of jobs (and how they advance) for my game yesternight. You can see it here. If you miss your favorite class or find something incorrect or bad - please write my about it.
Advertisement
Although I don''t really like the classing/subclassing aspect of some RPGs, I do like the way you''ve laid that chart out. It''s very clear and gets a lot of information across. Therefore it''s very useful as part of the design process. My only concern would be that, with a tree structure, you can find yourself doing a lot of work on the ''leaves'' that players may never appreciate. So you have to be careful not to ''waste'' your time.
quote:Although I don't really like the classing/subclassing aspect of some RPGs, I do like the way you've laid that chart out.
Thanks .
RPS =RolePlayingStrategy
SRPG=StrategicalRolePlayingGame

quote:It's very clear and gets a lot of information across. Therefore it's very useful as part of the design process.
Yes, i am about to finalize the whole game design. After careful consideration and long brainstorming i came to the conclusion, that starting to finalize the jobs/classes first is the best way to move on. Right now i am working on the skills and the stats for each job to make them unique and interesting (...).

quote:My only concern would be that, with a tree structure, you can find yourself doing a lot of work on the 'leaves' that players may never appreciate. So you have to be careful not to 'waste' your time.
One word: Replayablity

It should make fun to play the game to the end with different partys because there are so different styles of jobs in the game which require different tactics and strategy on every map.

But you're right this 'tree concept' is time expensive to implement. This is why i thought very deeply about any damn (sorry but that word hits the mark) detail in the game. The game-engine must be so flexible to make it easy to add all the stuff needed for the jobs.

I don't care about grafix, 'cause i am a one-man-gamesmithy and to make ultra genial animations for 90 jobs is byond anything even a real gamecompany could afford.

BTJCAC is only a part of my gamedesign docs, but it the only thing that is nearly completed
(90% - Enlighted&Possessed Trees need an overhault).

This BT will become an worthy FFT and Warsong successor someday (approximatly in one year).

Edited by - Jonus on August 13, 2001 3:50:51 PM
quote:Original post by Jonus
One word: Replayablity

I''ve always been dubious of replayability. The only games I''ve ever replayed are games that are designed specifically for it, with random maps, or deathmatch options. What does your game provide for replayability besides a lot of character options? (Not criticising, just trying to start some discussion )
Nice chart. The only question I would have is the Scholar->Shaman->Barbarian->Gladiator line

It seems a little odd. When I think of gladiators, I don''t really think of them discussion philosophy or research between matches.

Shaman->Barbarian seems a little odd too.

But maybe it''s just a matter of names.
REPLAYABILITY:

I think that adding different classes/jobs for replayability has already been done before... and for me, it doesn''t work. Unless... the gameplay itself is good and fun enough for me to want to replay the game. Maybe then, I''ll try my luck as a thief after finishing the game as a warrior.

I think you should use GAMEPLAY as the main reason for replayability (as I''m sure you already planned), not the variety of jobs/classes you offer.

What exactly is the type of gameplay you''re designing? Will it be somewhat like Warlords: Battlecry?
(RTS with roleplay elements? Your ''hero'' character can be any of four classes, and can pick from certain skills. Depending on your choices, you''ll use different strategies to conquer your enemies)

Woohoo... I''m on day 7 on my C++ in 21 days course. %Another two weeks and I''ll be a master programmer!%
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
To Kylotan:
My game is developed for solo play mainly, but i want to add an option where up to 4 players can fight each other with their solo party on random maps (Just to deterime whos party is best - hihi).

Well there will common stuff in it like: hidden items, side quests, storyline, blah

To Anonymous Poster:
Scholar->Shaman->Barbarian->Gladiator
This line is indeed a bit odd, but i didn''t find a better place for Barbarian and Gladiator in the chart.

To Silvermyst:
GAMEPLAY ... Yeah this is the most important thing for every game, but its a bit difficult to see in design docs. Gameplay can IMHO
only be determined when playing the game, because its the sum of
all components of the game.

I am doing a turnbased Strategical Role Playing Game, ''cause i must program every bit by myself btw. RTS is damn complex.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement