I want to make a game like Resident Evil 4 and/or 5. Which program should i use?

Started by
104 comments, last by lojic 13 years, 10 months ago
Thanks @ Flamable and Tim. Do you think Unreal Engine is Better than Unreal Development Kit because it is not free and the paid version has more features?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Game_Master
Thanks @ Flamable and Tim. Do you think Unreal Engine is Better than Unreal Development Kit because it is not free and the paid version has more features?

erm... So it's the same thing as the UDK but you also get full source code for the engine. But:

1) It costs several hundred thousand dollars for that license
2) They won't give it to anyone. Similar to becoming a licensed console developer you have to demonstrate that your team has shipped AAA games before

-me
Thanke Padeline, did'nt know it would cost that much. I heard some negative reviews about UDK since it has been given for free, that's why i asked how better the ureal engine (the paid version) compared to udk (the free version)
Quote:Original post by Game_Master
Thanke Padeline, did'nt know it would cost that much. I heard some negative reviews about UDK since it has been given for free, that's why i asked how better the ureal engine (the paid version) compared to udk (the free version)

Same code, you just don't get access to change the code. The UDK is pretty rad, IMHO. Compared to other things that are available on the market it's a pretty awesome set of tools. You should just check out all the free/cheap available ones and see what you prefer.

-me
Thanks again @ Padeline for your tip. You always have a good one. Thanks for making up my day :)
In my opinion Unity's scripting is easier than UDK's, although UDK is quite a bit more powerful. I'd say start off with Unity. Although that's if you want to learn programming, which you need to get you're game to really be like RE4. If you just want a 3rd person shooter with zombies, I believe you could do that with little scripting in UDK and it would look a lot better than one done in Unity. Now I maybe wrong seeing as how I've only spent a couple hours with either, but those are the impressions I got from using them as well as from what I've read. Either way you can't go wrong. Like so many have said just pick one and start. You'll most likely run into challenges with any, so don't quit and move on to the other. Stick with it and overcome the challenges and you'll be able to do great things with any engine or program. Once you've really learned one(meaning you can make you're own games using you're own code), it should be a lot easier to get into other engines and languages. I hope that helps.

[Edited by - lojic on June 21, 2010 10:00:54 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement