The new "XCom" game

Started by
9 comments, last by Steadtler 13 years, 10 months ago
Just saw the trailer (
).

And my first thought is, why do studios release sequels which have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the previous games at all? I mean, fine, it's often OK to make a game mode switch (in this case, TBS to FPS), but when they also remove the setting, the story, the enemies - heck, even the time - then why even call it a sequel?

The game looks like it might be a decent shooter if they do it right, but to call it XCom was a big mistake.
-------------Please rate this post if it was useful.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Hnefi
And my first thought is, why do studios release sequels which have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the previous games at all?

Marketing. And it looks like it works - it got you to post a link to the trailer video, after all. [wink]

I suspect someone at the publisher noticed they had a supernatural themed game in the works and decided to dust off a popular alien themed title in their IP warchest. I agree that it does sort of bother me, but more from the other direction. A true-to-XCOM FPS doesn't sound that interesting to me, but this title of fighting possessive inkblots in a retro setting looks interesting, a bit like Fallout 3 meets Metroid Prime 2. It deserves to spawn its own IP branch.

Would it be ok if they called it XCOM: Reboot?
Ugh. My childhood died a little with that trailer.

It might turn out to be an average to lukewarm FPS but i wish they didn't use the XCOM name.. now my memories will be tarnished with this.
Is it just me or does the game look 2004?

Incidentally - this isn't the first FPS in the series.
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
Would it be ok if they called it XCOM: Reboot?

Not really. Wikipedia might say they're "try[ing] to keep some main concepts from the original game, such as Elerium", but the important part of X-COM is the COM. I'll need to see how they've attempted (if at all) to implement that before it feels appropriate to label XCOM.
This reminds me of "everything tastes better with bacon" approach.

Except that going crazy with latest shaders is almost without exception an indication of complete lack of original ideas and simply doing the cheap thing by reving up the graphics.

Another forgettable disposable budget title milking the long forgotten IP. At least in this regard it will fit incredibly well in the x-com franchise.

Quote:keep some main concepts from the original game, such as Elerium

Oh, right. That is what the original was about. Good to know.
Most companies don't have the resources to spread between excellent gameplay and excellent graphics. They usually focus on one at the detriment of the other. A few big companies can of course focus on both (R*, Infinity Ward, Naught Dog, Sony etc..). But those are from experienced teams working on franchises which had time to polish their skills and tools to a keen edge.

This X-Com won't have anything but the X-Com name. X-Com was so successful in the gaming consciousness, because it fit the times so well. The 90's a time of great change, conspiracies and fore boding. If this X-Com wants to continue that legacy it should integrate social themes of the day and a few portent themes which fits the story (terrorism, big brother, etc..). So many games these days try to avoid or ignore making any "statement" about social themes which makes them so forgettable. Games are an art and art can have social significance, and developers should take some risk in that regards.

-ddn
Quote:Original post by ddn3
Most companies don't have the resources to spread between excellent gameplay and excellent graphics.

It's not about the art.

Art is a linear process, which makes it very clear that if you spend money on it, you'll get a precalculated amount in art back.

With gameplay you can put money in, and you'll never know where you'll land, if you have to rethink ideas, it's a very unsafe area, so developers will play it safe and go with something they know.

In this case, bioshock is what they know works previously.

I'm not happy about this xcom, and they're playing it safe, but please dont hate on the artistry about it, hate on the guys who wanted to play it safe with the gameplay.
-----------------------------------------------------www.agonyart.com
I miss the isometric alien hunt, base management, research, building, etc. It's about time they made an Actual X-COM Game based on the previous ones, or even just a remake.

Updated with fancy-pants new graphics and all that, and perhaps in a more 3D rotatable environment than the previous ones had.

I'm with Trapper Zoid on this one though...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement