Now what?

Started by
2 comments, last by MrKillemAll 22 years, 8 months ago
Okey whats wrog with this? DWORD FPS_TIME = timeGetTime(VOID); I get the missing "(" error but I don''t understand why cus i got them right? I''m very green on c++ so I would really like som help!
//****************************// www.ankasoft.com *//****************************
Advertisement
I dont know about the "timeGetTime()" function. But I use
DWORD start_time = GetTickCount();
This works for me.
Then to lock the frame rate you would put
DWORD start_time = GetTickCount(); at the beginning of the game loop and then
while (GetTickCount() - start_time < 33 );

33 is the number of milliseconds that you want it to wait. This is an example for 30 fps.

I dont believe that you need to include any extra files to use the time, but here are my includes anyway.

#include <windows.h>
#include <windowsx.h>
#include <mmsystem.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>

I hope this has helped

Edited by - GameDev135 on August 14, 2001 12:34:05 PM
Feel free to email me at NYYanks432@hotmail.com if you have any questions
You don''t have to pass VOID as a parameter. VOID means no parameters. So take it out and make sure you have included MMSYSTEM.H in your project (that''s where the timeGetTime() function is declared)...

André

"- To begin with, said the Cat, a dog''s not mad. You grant that?
- I suppose so, said Alice.
- Well, then, - the Cat went on - you see, a dog growls when it''s angry, and wags its tail when it''s pleased. Now I growl when I''m pleased, and wag my tail when I''m angry. Therefore I''m mad."
"- To begin with, said the Cat, a dog's not mad. You grant that? - I suppose so, said Alice. - Well, then, - the Cat went on - you see, a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."
A note about using timeGetTime.

It operates differntly depending on the OS you use it on.
In win9x (1 millisecond) line, timegettime() returns a much more percise number then in winNT/win2k(5 milliseconds) line. To fix this you need to call a fuction to set the timers resolution.

timeBeginPeriod(1); //Sets timer res to 1 millisecond
when your done with the timer (basiclly the unint of your prog)
call
timeEndPeriod(1);
Make sure that the value you pass to timeEndPeriod is the same as what you passed in timeBeginPeriod;
you might want to do this

#define TIMERES 1;
int a;

timeBeginPeriod(1);
a = timeGetTime();
cout << "This computer was turned on " << a << "ms ago!";
timeEndPeriod(1);

Some more notes about timeGetTime()
"The return value wraps around to 0 every 2^32 milliseconds, which is about 49.71 days." -MSDN Library

The required files are Mmmsystem.h and libray Winmm.lib

-Scott

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement