Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Helpful Posting Hints

This topic is 5966 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m taking a terrible risk here - I''m sure lots of people are going to ask "Just who do you think you are ?!?", but I have a few suggestions for posters... 1. Read the SDK docs. Not only will you probably answer the current question, you''ll probably learn more. There''s no such thing as a stupid question, but occasionally it''s sadly obvious that the poster hasn''t read anything at all. 2. Ask your "real question". One example (not to pick on the poster) was someone who was rendering splines, so they asked "How do I render individual pixels?". The best answer really has nothing to do with rendering pixels and everyone gets sidetracked. In that instance, it would have been better to ask "What''s the best way to render curves?", etc... Many times, the solution that you are having trouble implementing may not be a good solution at all. 3. Do not use "Help Me!!!" as a subject. It makes it difficult to tell whether you have a DX question or you a trapped in a well. Using good subject headers helps people help you and saves precious gamedev bandwidth! 4. Don''t post tons of code. If you have code, then you can retrieve error codes and find the line that is returning an error. At that point, you are pretty darned close to solving the problem yourself. A better question is: "My call to CreateTexture fails with return code X and I don''t understand why" (actually, that''s not a question, but you get the point...) At this point, include the one line, the error, and people will not be swamped with source code. 5. It''s probably a good idea to post at least some of your system specs. For example, if you asked "Why do pixel shaders run slowly?", the answers will be very different if you are running a GF3 vs. a TNT2. 6. Don''t presume that you have any right to tell people how they should post. Just who do you think you are ?!?

7. For the love of god at least spellcheck your headings. I don''t know how anyone who types ''who'' instead of ''how'' in a subject heading can make it thru the day writing code, but I see MORE typos on this website than ANY OTHER. And it''s not just a minor thing, it''s an order of magnitude worse on this site for some reason. Everytime I see a post like "who do I genreate mapmipping texetures" I just cringe thinking of all the compile errors that person must get because of their spelling / typing problems.