Photoshop: Converting from PNG to TGA and preserving transparency

Started by
5 comments, last by Wilhelm van Huyssteen 13 years, 10 months ago
Hi.

PNG's and TGA's uses different methods to store transparency information.
TGA's have an alpha channel and PNG's dont (im not sure how PNG's preserve transparency)

How would i convert a PNG to a TGA while preserving the transaprency info? if i save a .PNG as a .TGA in photoshop just using "Save As" i lose transparency.

Thnx in Advance!
Advertisement
PNG's do in fact have alpha. You'd just think not if you use photoshop as your window into art files.

Alpha Channel handling in PS has been a joke from day one imo and the latest version I saw doesn't seem any better. To be fair, PS was written to edit photos that don't contain alpha.
------------------------------Great Little War Game
So is what im trying do to impossible then? if so can anyone recommend me a tool for properly converting PNG's to TGA's?

[Edited by - EternityZA on June 18, 2010 4:15:13 AM]
Paint.NET seems to work fine for converting PNGs with transparency to TGAs with transparency. I use it for all of my lightweight graphics editing.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
I'd suggest The Gimp (gwww.gimp.org/). It is like a mini-photoshop, but with capabilities to properly edit, save, load, and convert 34 different types of images, with full alpha-blending capabilities; I make most of my textures with gimp, which (when you learn how to use it) is pretty easy.
Try adding an empty layer to your file, this will become the alpha layer in your converted file. Doesn't work always, but it works often ;)
Thnx for the replies. Gimp and Paint.net works fine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement