Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vbisme

How to do profiling?

There are several tools shipping with the development tools. There is some analyzer with Borland C Builder 5.0 Enterprise Edition. I''m sure there''s some kind of tool also included with Microsoft Visual Studio, but don''t ask me about its name.
Although, you could check out a tutorial - which is available here - about ''knowing the tools''. Look it up somewhere in the tutorial section. I couldn''t find it, but maybe somebody else knows where to find it.

It''s called Microsoft Profiler, and it''s perfect for looking for how slowly a function runs. Only problem is, it can actually slow down your program just by being there. So if you''re on a commercial project or otherwise have a good chunk of money you can invest in VTune by Intel, which is an excellent profiler. If you''re on a budget using a combo of MS Profiler and your own timing code should work fine.

If you''re using VB or a similar thing then you shouldn''t worry about cycles, the main bottleneck is the runtime.

One problem I encountered with the MS profiler is that if you run it from the IDE (not from a custom batch file), it does not count functions from any dll''s which might be in your workspace. Only functions from the main exe are reported; to avoid that, use a custom batch file to run it.