Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BradDaBug

texture blending for 2D terrain

I''m working on an isometric 2D game, but i''m using textured quads to represent the tiles. I''ve seen games, like any game with outdoor landscapes, that take several different textures like grass, dirt, sand, water, whatever, and put them down on the landscape and blend them all together. So what I want to do is take just a plain old grass tile, a dirt tile, and stretch them over a few quads, then maybe blend it with neightboring textures. That way I wouldn''t have to worry about creating transition tiles. Will this work?

I''m not an expert on terrain rendering, just wanted that to be said...

It sounds promising, though I think a drawn texture between, say, dirt and water, looks better. Of course, it''s extra work, and if you think blending will be easier, use it. All you have to do is make all textures just a tiny bit bigger than needed and blend the few overlapping pixels. Now the drawback in the visuality appears, there''ll be dirt, water and inbetween... A strip of the both mixed. Somehow, try to make a gradient blend between the textures, if it''s possible.