Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Better Title: Problem with surface visibility

This topic is 5968 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been working on a CLOD terrain engine for a while now, and just a few days ago I got it into a state where I can actually begin to test it. So I got it to actually display an immage (D3D8), but something seems to be distorting the amount of the image that you see. For instance, if is set the camera at (1,1,1) looking down on (1,0,1), and move the terrain around on world space coordinates, i can only see a strip of the image, sort of like a window that is screen width but not totally rectangular (the two black edges that I see are not parrallel). This black area obsures most of the heightfield, and what is interesting, when I move the world x coordinates, the heightfield moves left or right inside the "window". When I move the z coordinates, the heightfield moves up and down inside the triangles, and when I move the y coordinates, the WINDOW moves! At first I thought it was a stray triangle, but when I reversed the normals on the heightfield, since i thought I was seeing the back of a rogue triangle, it simply was black. Even when I turned off lighting and turned on wireframe mode, it still was black. I've checked everything, the projection matrix, the viewport, and everything that I can think of, and I still can't figure it out, Please Help ME! Matt Edited by - CpMan on August 16, 2001 9:11:15 PM

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sounds like a drawing error. That is, not a rogue
polygon but the scene not dawing in everywhere.
It could be the camera intersecting the world but
I don''t see how, or it could be impossible terrain
outside of the window.

It runs in fullscreen, so I don''t think its impossible terrain, and the camera is above the terrain, I scaled everything down for debugging

I just noticed that in wireframe mode, not all of the lines go to the edie of the "window" strip, and none form completre triangles, I hope that helps in a diagnosis.