Designing 2d platformer environments?

Started by
8 comments, last by Binsou 13 years, 9 months ago
I'm working on an action rpg platformer with a map system similar to metroid and castlevania, and I need to start thinking of level design since most of the "engine" is done.

When making levels for a 2d platformer, do you think it's better to do general sketches of all the rooms and areas beforehand, an or simply prepare a complete tileset and make them up as you go along?
Advertisement
Yes I would say that would be the best bet for hand drawing. Then render your foregrounds and backgrounds.
Write your notes and design features in your note pad whenever possible. This will help you in the long run if you have forgotten what you wanted to do in a certain room or tunnel or halway or arena or other type rooms for bosses or subosses.

Your ideas will always change but be consistent to what you want and need for your characters to run through and for yoru players playing your game to keep thinking for that next trap or puzzle you have hidden even in front of their eyes. Keep the maps simple but challenging.
Yeah, I suppose either way you look at it it's best to plan everything out..

[Edited by - Kiiryu on June 30, 2010 10:30:45 AM]
It is much quicker and easier to get an overview of your game level if you do a rough layout on paper. You can see how the screens connect and how the player will move through the levels.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
A few questions before I go:

1: How large will your game project be? Will it have two different locations similar to Castlevania or a single area similiar to Metroid?

2: Will it be a one player or a co-op game? Iwould like to see a two player project. It is possible but it all depends on the story and the genre and what will happen in your gameplay.

3: If your levels or playform areas are going to be a massive as Castlevania I would suggest at least 12 to 14 main bosses and 6 or 7 subbosses. This will equal out the play time and puzzles needed to implement during the storyline and gameplay.

Main Title
Chapter headings
History Tree
Characters and Bios
Main walkthrough
World Map
Secret locations (optional)
Beastiary w/ Statistics
Character Accessories
Character Armor
Character Items
Character Relics (optional)
Character Subweapons
Character Transportation (optional)
Character Weapons
Traps
Subossess w/ Statistics
Bosses w/ Statistics
End Story or Continuation Story
End Title

This is what I normally do just like in a game guide book. I write everything I need for the gameplay mechanics in a notebook. I hope this helps you out to come up with new and original ideas for your 2-d platform game.

Enjoy.

If you would like any other help in ideas or suggestions. Please feel free to drop a pm or drop in your furm message box. I will be online from time to time to check out your feedback if any.

See you in the future in the gaming world.

Ghostknight.
Well, first off I'll explain what the game itself is going to be like.

The gameplay and visual style is similar to Megaman x, but with rpg elements such as a customized character appearance and name, stats, leveling up, skills, equipment that changes character appearance, visible damage, and melee weapons. Npcs will also play a larger role than in Castlevania, with dialogue options that branch the story and random encounters with characters that present different opportunities based on dialogue choices.

As for the map style, it's just like Symphony of the night and Metroid where leaving the side of the screen brings you to a different room, and all the rooms are connected at the edges sharing the same map. However, all the areas will be separated, for instance leaving the edge of one area will bring you to a different area with a different map(areas can also be selected from the overworld screen once they've been discovered), and any doors that aren't on the edge of the screen bring you to a different map within the same area (kind of like Zelda's floor system)

So, to answer your questions..

1: If you're talking about the size of the project..

The project is a fairly long term one, and I'm going to be putting a lot of content in it. However, for the sake of finishing something, I'm going to make a smaller scale version first with a different story, taking place either before the full scale story or after it.

2: Don't think it would work very well for this kind of game, given the amount of customization that's in it and the style of gameplay. (though it would be awesome)

3: In the small scale version I'm assuming there will be 3 areas that would serve the same purpose as major dungeons in Zelda, and in between each major location there will be 1-2 areas you have to go through in order to get to them. In the "path" areas, there will also be entrances that lead to optional smaller dungeon areas that contain items and characters who will have side-quests or effect the story in some way.

So, three major locations, each with a major boss and a sub-boss, six "path" areas that link the locations together, and six optional dungeons with only one boss each. There will also be a city with certain sections that can only be reached later on, and a fourth major area at the end of the game, with a major boss and a sub boss.

Anyhow, thanks for all your advice. When I'm a bit farther into development I'll ask some more specific questions and show you what the game actually looks like. (since right now it's probably tough to give specific advice.)
From my experience, designing on paper is the way to go. When I created Super Orbulite World, a 2D platformer, my levels that turned out best were usually the ones I drew on paper beforehand.
Website (with downloads of my games)
Blog (updates on current projects)
Seeds of Time Online has returned!
Yeah.Your ideas sound and look exciting. Very complex system but your planning seems reasonable to go through. And your welcome for the advice.

Ghostknight
The game sounds great and ambitious. If you want to have a branching story with side quests and random encounters, you definitely need to map things out. It needs to be obvious when the path will lead down an optional route because you'll have players like myself who really just want to barrel through the story and look at the side stuff later.

On a more specific note, when you were talking about the sort of three area prequel idea, you said there would be the three main areas and six path areas. If I were you, I'd make the path two the last area just one zone instead of two. Once a game's ending is in site, it's frustrating when the developer has you trudging through an extra 2 hours for a 3 minute cutscene.

Finally, I've been looking for a good indie engine to make games with, since my coding skills aren't the greatest. Are you going to put the engine out for people to use or is this more than just a hobby/side project?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement