• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rainws77

Book advice needed, learning computer graphics

This topic is 3085 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm looking for some book advice. I have browsed through the book section of this site and did not find what I was looking for.

Someday I'd like to make a game, but before I start on that I want to understand the fundamentals of 2D and 3D computer graphics. I don't want a tutorial on DirectX or OpenGL - I want to start from the ground up, learning the math and algorithms as I go. I've seen two books recommended - "Introduction to Computer Graphics (Foley)" and "Computer graphics fundamentals (shirely)".

Both these books are a bit old and I've read some conflicting reviews as to their usefulness to beginners in this space. Are there any other books or resources you would recommend I start with?

I'm comfortable programming in C++, C#.

thanks!
-R

Advertisement
Generally it is a lot wiser to start from the top and work down in this field. Get comfortable with direct x or ogl then learn the more advanced algorithms and implement them with the knowledge you already have.

otherwise.
http://www.amazon.com/Real-Time-Rendering-Third-Tomas-Akenine-Moller/dp/1568814240/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277940867&sr=8-1
Its THE rendering book.

I would strongly disagree with Denzin on the top-down approach -- particularly if you're interested in understanding over immediate results.

Computer Graphics by Foley and Vann Damme, et all is *the* classic graphics text, Its been used commonly in University to teach graphics for a couple decades, and its use continues to this day.

Real-Time Rendering is a Great book, but its a more advanced text, more suitable for one who already has a good grasp of the fundamentals.

Edit: Disagree with Denzin, not the OP.

[Edited by - Ravyne on July 2, 2010 6:47:02 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!