Please Read And Reply.

Started by
18 comments, last by yodasmacker 22 years, 7 months ago
Ok...Hello everyone I have a question about alot of things i''m just getting started in game design actually today is my first day..lol. I want to kno if anyone knows where I can learn c and C++ to make a game where do I learn this kind of language at w/o buying a book and I dont wanna learn the language to just make programs I wanna make games. But if u know and if u got aol im pm me my s/n is AreYouOk12 and my email is yodasmacker@hotmail.com for msn messanger or you can use that just to email me if someone would answer me I would appreciate it alot. .............
Advertisement
Iam a professional c,c++ ist i can help you .
New? Start Here!

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
try www.astentech.com with links to C/C++ tutorials and source
Hi!
I just want to tell you that if you don''t learn the language and make a couple of at least simple programs in it to show that you understand it, Game Programming will be alot harder than if you learn the basics of the language. I know you just want to make games and thats cool but its like diving off the deep end and doing the backstroke the first time you see a pool (just a way to describe the relationship). Hey but if you think you can do it go ahead!

A couple of years ago I tried doing the same thing. I did not know a pointer from a hole in the wall and jumped right into game programming. When I looked at the book (Teach Yourself Game Programming in 21 Days) I was incredily lost by what they were doing.

Just some things to think about.
im actually not much of a programmer as id like to be ;''( but i for some reason have an incredibly good nac for stucturally designing games.. if you need any help.. e-mail me
Programming the youth
I would really suggest buying books because they help a great deal. But if you absolutely can''t due to not having enough money or something, there are a few places on the internet. Follow the link Martee gave which will explain a few more things.

Also, don''t learn C/C++ for game programming. I know your intent is to make games, and you will make them eventually, but I suggest when you start learning to just focus on the language itself and not worry about games. It will be a while before you can start making even a simple game, because there is a lot to learn. Just don''t get discouraged. It took me 2 years before I wrote my first DirectX game.

Make sure you go to the for beginners section, you''ll definately want to read that. Martee gave the link,
They say history repeats itself, and by looking at this post I can see it remains true. It was about 8 years ago now that I made the decision to "Program games". After making that "Hello world" program that every programming book has, I decided I was ready to take on the task. After buying numerous books specificaly on game programming, I decided it was way over my head. So the books went on to my bookshelf and just sat there. Though the game books sat there, I was determined to make a game. So I decided to read up on the things that were talked about in the game books. Matricies, vectors, bit wise operators, stacks, queues, linked lists, and so on. However it only took a short ammount of time to determine that each of these things were built off of others. It was like a giant spider web. Each point I reached had 4 more paths to follow, and there was no end in site. Again I realized I was out of my league, so the new books went on to the book shelf. Although I was discouraged, the game programming idea never left my mind. Luckly for me at the time I made that decision, I was on my way into college. I decided to major in computer science, and took some classes. The classes consisted of the basic C++ book, which we were to read, and do the assignments at the end of the chapter. Once again I started with the "Hello world" program, and soon after that more advanced programs that had input and output. About 1/2 way through the class the major gaps in knowledge started filling in. I finaly understood Stacks, queues, and linked lists, pointers, matricies, vectors, the list goes on and on. Those books that sat on my bookshelf for the past year or two were dusted off, and finaly I understood them.
And all because my college instructors FORCED me to write those stupid text programs that had NOTHING to do with making games (or so I thought).

Anyway my point here is to stop you from wasting your time, and getting frustrated. People who do C++ or C or any other programming language are considered to be "Software Engineers". The term Engineer is used to define someone who builds something. Other engineers build buildings. However the building will not stand long if it does not have a good foundation. In the case of "Software engineers" knowledge is your foundation. If you don''t have the appropriate knowledge your going to tumble, which means you''ll have to start over again from the start.

Determination, and enthusiasm only gets you so far. So please heed the words of someone who''s been where you are. Go out and buy a Good C++ or C book. Read through it and do all the non game related programs. It might take you 2 months it may only take you a few weeks. But I gaurentee you that in that time you''ll learn more than you will if you try to just learn "game specific" programming tasks. And by the time you finish the book, you''ll be ready to start game programming.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
My site has a great C and C++ tutorial and its for game developers. Its in the early stages but is updated regulary. I have 93 member sand would like 100 by mid-night. You can join without me saying so and it only taskes a couple of seconds. it is wortyh those precious two seconds though...

Sometimes you only want the best…
http://communities.msn.com/craigwoolmersprogrammingsite
nuff said!
We nearly have 100 members now. Will you be number 100? You can also now join without singing up. Just copy and paste the address into the address box and you have full access to the site!
One thing that everyone seems to overlook is this very sites own tutorial:
Hands-On Interactive Game Development

You can learn more HERE

B e S
It's Da BOMB Baby!!!
. o O ~
A little nonsense now and then,
is relished by the wisest men
~ O o .
-- Willy Wonka

Edited by - wrenhal on August 22, 2001 3:59:38 PM
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement