• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CDProp

Trajectory - hitting target at x/y

This topic is 2913 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello.

I have some AI characters that I want to aim at the player. I'm trying to implement the equation described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory_of_a_projectile#Angle_.CE.B8_required_to_hit_coordinate_.28x.2Cy.29

For some reason, it's not working. Here's my function:

private float CalculateShooterAngle()
{
Vector2 aimingPosition = targetPosition - playerPosition;

float x = aimingPosition.X;
float y = -aimingPosition.Y;

float v2 = v * v;
float v4 = v * v * v * v;
float gx2 = g * x * x;
float tyv2 = 2 * y * v * v;
float gx = g * x;

float sq = v4 - (g * (gx2 + tyv2));

if (sq >= 0.0)
{
float root = (float)Math.Sqrt(sq);

float solution1 = (float)Math.Atan((v2 + root) / gx);
float solution2 = (float)Math.Atan((v2 - root) / gx);

return solution1;
}
}

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? The angle just doesn't work at all. Sometimes it's close, but no cigar. It seems to get worse the further I move the shooter away from the target. In some quadrants, the shooter's direction seems to flip drastically, pointing straight down. I guess some abrupt angle changes are expected, given that I'm arbitrarily choosing solution1, and throwing away solution2. But no matter what solution is chosen, it's just wrong.

One thing I should mention is that the y-axis is flipped from what you might expect. Since it's an XNA-based 2D sprite game, the y axis points downward, much like it would in a 2D image editing program. So, to shoot at an upward angle, the y-component of my velocity would be negative. However, since my gravity is positive, I figured this would even out and that the above equation should probably work no matter what your coordinate system is. Maybe I'm wrong.

If anyone knows of a place where I can host a 23kb Zip file, I would be happy to post a link to my project. It's pretty self contained, and should be easy to build and run if you have XNA installed.

[Edited by - CDProp on July 1, 2010 1:55:27 AM]

Advertisement
Oh, I should also mention that I'm not using straight Euler integration for the motion of the projectiles. To make it more stable, I calculate the instantaneous velocities each frame (using the simple v += a*t). But instead of using the new instantaneous velocity to calculate the displacement, I first average it with the previous frame's instantaneous velocity. So instead of having this:

vel += acc*time;
pos += vel*time;

It looks more like this:

vel += acc*time;
pos += (last_vel+vel)*0.5*time;
last_vel = vel;

I tried solving your problem with the following system of equations:
x = vx * t (1)
y = vy * t - 1/2 * g * t² (2)
v²= vx² + vy² (3)

(1) => t = x / vx (4)
(4) in (2) => vy² = ( vx * y / x )² + g * y + ( g * x / ( 2 * vx ) )² (5)
(5) in (3) =>
[ 1 + ( y /x )² ]vx² + ( g * x / 2 )²( 1 / vx )² + g * y - v² = 0
<=>[ 1 + ( y /x )² ]vx⁴ + ( g * y - v² )vx² + ( g * x / 2 )² = 0
=> vx² = 0.5 * [ ( v² - g * y ) +- sqrt( v⁴ - 2 * g * v² * y - g² * x² ) ] / [ 1 + ( y / x )² ] (6)

You get rid of the angle the velocity makes with the x axis. (6) gives you two possibles solution for vx. Compute them, and for each of them compute the corresponding vy. Compute the time t with the first equation. And see between the two triples (vx,vy,t) which one verifies the second equation.

[Edited by - johnstanp on July 3, 2010 4:00:10 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!