[C++, VC2008] DLL or LIB?

Started by
2 comments, last by Sneftel 13 years, 9 months ago
Hi all,

Currently I'm working on my graphics engine. I started with writing some low-level core systems.

I'm using VC++ 2008 Express Edition and decided to build all the system elements of the architecture seperately: ZTxCoreWin32, ZTxRenderer, ZTxPhysics, ZTxAnimaton etc.

What do you suggest about making'em all Dynamic Linked or Static Linked Libraries (DLLs or LIBs)? Actually, I don't know the differences between'em and any pros/cons.

Thanks in advance.
There's no "hard", and "the impossible" takes just a little time.
Advertisement
Static libraries are probably going to be the easiest to start out with. Less files, less headaches. Sadly, longer link times, but only with larger codebases. DLLs are great if you're actually taking advantage of shared executable code and dynamic linking (i.e. you have multiple games that use common engine DLLs, so upgrading the DLLs automatically upgrades all your games), but this kind of functionality requires you to architect your code in a particular (stricter) fashion. If the DLLs are just extra dependencies sitting around that only a single application ever uses, you've defeated the purpose of using them.
I believe LIBs are slightly faster then DLLs
Moved to For Beginners.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement