• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chadg

Struggling to advance

This topic is 3084 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been trying to learn c/c++ for a few years now on and off and I always end up getting stuck.

I'm not exactly sure why it is I get stuck, but I think it has to do with having no ideas to move on. I'd love to work on a game some day, 2d/3d, anything. My main problem seems to be that that's all I want to do, and because of that, I have zero ideas of what to do to progress now.

I've got basic pointers and arrays down, I understand most of what I read but I can't seem to advance due to having no idea what to work on to learn. I can't just jump into a game, at least not at my level.

tl;dr: What are some projects for somewhat of a beginner? I feel this is my biggest flaw, not having anything to work on. I need a project whether its simple or more advanced. Is this a question anyone can even answer? I hope so.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
"I can't just jump into a game, at least not at my level."

You are wrong.

"I've been trying to learn c/c++ for a few years now"

I started my first game after 3-4 months of learning. I didn't know much (almost nothing), but as I progressed with the game and an issue/question was raised, I looked into that particular topic, thus I learned that by doing.

So I think the best way to learn to program is to jump into coding at the very beginning.

As for what game to make: I started with a prime number thingy, then I jumped right into a Scorched Earth clone. It took a year to finish (!) the game, and I gained a lot of experience in problem solving (that's the most important stuff, all the others require to sit on your ass and learn the stuff, everyone can do that).

Take a look at forum FAQ and beginners FAQ to get some ideas about the first game to make.

Why not try something like a minesweeper-clone, where you enter coordinates at the command line, and the field redraws each step.
It may look fugly, it works!

One learns by doing, matey!

My first game was a simple command line RPG. See what you can come up with using just printf & scanf rather than dashing on to the likes of Windows API and DirectX.

Remember, most of the first games were text-only. Its interesting to scour YouTube to see what these games were like: The Hobbit(Spectrum 48K), Zarth(MSX) and Never-Ending Story(C64). On my first attempt(although it took a couple of months to complete) I made a commandline text adventure that even managed a Final-Fantasy style turn-based battle sequence(although it really was crude).

Actually the examples I gave above do have graphics, but only in an "illustrated book" fashion. What you could do is write a command line adventure, and then do a Windows API version afterwards.

Anyway, I hope we've all given you enough to go on.

Happy coding!

I'd recommend picking up beginning C++ game programming, which walks you through several console based games each chapter building on what you learn and provides a great foundation for 2d graphical games. OR follow the CPP workshop tutorial at the bottom of the main forum (which has a free downloadable book to accompany it). The workshop will teach you the basics of CPP game programming and JWalsh did a good job of providing detailed, specific outlines in his projects so you don't have to concentrate on what to make, you can just start executing. For instance, the first project he lays out a combat simulator with all the details of how the program should react.

Once you get a few of these console, simple games out of the way, you can start adding graphics and doing some pong/breakout type games. After one or two of those, you'll have enough knowledge to increase the complexity. You just need to start doing something, if you don't challenge yourself, you won't accomplish anything. I think you'll be surprised how much you can learn if you set out to make it happen.

Quote:
Original post by Anri
One learns by doing, matey!

My first game was a simple command line RPG. See what you can come up with using just printf & scanf rather than dashing on to the likes of Windows API and DirectX.

Remember, most of the first games were text-only. Its interesting to scour YouTube to see what these games were like: The Hobbit(Spectrum 48K), Zarth(MSX) and Never-Ending Story(C64). On my first attempt(although it took a couple of months to complete) I made a commandline text adventure that even managed a Final-Fantasy style turn-based battle sequence(although it really was crude).

Actually the examples I gave above do have graphics, but only in an "illustrated book" fashion. What you could do is write a command line adventure, and then do a Windows API version afterwards.

Anyway, I hope we've all given you enough to go on.

Happy coding!

Ditto.
Oh and if you think C++ is just about basic pointers and arrays no wonder you can't advance since it sounds like you are reading the wrong C++ books.
Data structures and algorithms are much more important for just about any game.
As mentioned the FAQ has a list of games you can progressively make starting with command line then your basic pong, space invaders, etc...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!