• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Relfos

How to debug cascaded shadowmaps?

This topic is 3005 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

After getting normal shadowmaps to work, I'm now implementing cascaded shadowmaps.
I've followed a demo on NVidia website, and right now I'm displayed all cascade map levels as small quads on the screen. However all of them are white, nothing is getting rendered there.
I've checked that when rendering to the shadowmaps all objects fail the frustum test. Can someone tell of a clever way to visualize if there are errors in the projection/frustum setup of the shadowmaps?

Advertisement
Um..., how about not performing the frustum test? (if you meant frustum culling).

Quote:
Original post by szecs
Um..., how about not performing the frustum test? (if you meant frustum culling).

Yes, I've tried that, but of course nothing is draw even without the test. My frustum test is accurate, it works fine when rendering from the camera point of view. I think I'm doing some error during calculation of the projection matrices for the shadowmaps, but I have no idea how to find where the problem is

Can you visualize your frustums in world space and draw them? (performing the collisions of 3 planes will give you the points to form your mesh) Thats the first thing you need to know... if they are actually in the right place and facing the right way. :D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!