• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tilt_

What Next?

This topic is 3007 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently a computer science student and I have just finished my first few classes. I have a good understanding of inheritance, polymorphism, data structures and other basic programming concepts and how to utilize them in java.

I have not learned anything regarding GUI. I'm currently in a lot of theory classes that seem to have little practical application and I'm wondering how I should progress in my free time.

Ideally I would like to do game programming but I'm worried that investing a lot of time learning it in java would be a waste when I could just learn c++ and then go from there. I have several books about game programming but they are all in c++. I plan on learning both languages thoroughly but I switched to cs as a junior and I have a heavy course load to try and catch up so my time is limited and precious.

So would it be more beneficial to stick with java and learn more advanced concepts or begin learning c++?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Tilt_
I'm currently a computer science student and I have just finished my first few classes.
1. I'm currently in a lot of theory classes that seem to have little practical application
2. I'm worried that investing a lot of time learning it in java would be a waste
3. So would it be more beneficial to stick with java and learn more advanced concepts or begin learning c++?

1. You'd better study hard in those classes. They are more important than you think.
2. Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson51.htm
3. Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson52.htm

Whilst languages are very different, learning one still adds to your "general programming" knowledge. This carries over to other languages. E.g it is easier to learn C++ after leaning another language than it is from scratch (IMO of course). I don't think learning any language is a waste.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!