• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nietger

OpenGL OpenGL ES 1.1 simple ocean from dynamic heightmap

This topic is 3091 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I'm programming a 3D pirate ship battle game on the 1st generation ipod touch using opengl es 1.1 and I would like to create a simple 3D water simulation. The idea would be to generate a heightmap from a 2D fluid simulation. I was wondering if someone could link an article explaining the implementation for a 2D fluid simulation preferably using c++. From there the next challenge would be to create the grayscale heightmap texture from the 2D fluid simulation. Creating the texture is something I don't know how to do. I know the ipod touch has FBO but I don't know if that helps. Last step is to map the heightmap to a coarse grid a vertices in order to modify their height. If someone would have some example code or an article explaining how to implement this I'd really it. I'm terrible in math so please don't send any material that include heavy theory because I won't understand.

Here's an example of what I'm looking for

Thanking you in advance.
Francis

Advertisement
There are a myriad of different ways to do water simulations, almost all of them will be quite costly when you're thinking about running them on an iPod though! You have to ask yourself is it really necessary for your gameplay? You might well be using up over half your frame time for something that could be done without the need for a full on fluid simulator.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!