Small car racing game demo - would welcome playtest or feedback

Started by
3 comments, last by Darragh 13 years, 9 months ago
Hi everyone,

I've been beavering away for the past few months on this with whatever time I've had to spare. The game's name is 'Terminal Velocity' - click on the car thumbnail, and then the 'download' button:

http://www.darraghcoy.com

Or alternatively a direct link:

http://www.darraghcoy.com/downloads/Terminal%20Velocity%20Setup.exe

This was originally written as a college project using C# and XNA, and interfacing to Phys-X through a .NET wrapper. Unfortunately however something changed in .NET (possibly- I don't know for certain) that more or less completely broke the game beyond repair; I kept getting serious CLR errors when some of the Phys-X functions were called through the wrapper. No matter which machine I ran the game on it wouldn't run, whereas it had worked fine just a year before. I think something funky was happening in the interface to the native code, and perhaps .NET had tightened up on its validation... A classic case of code rot perhaps? [smile]

Anyhow, I didn't want the project to go to waste so I decided to resurrect it by rewriting the entire thing in native C++ rather than face the same scenario again. It now uses Havok instead of Phys-X and the physics code was more or less rewritten from scratch with some improvements along the way (suspension being implemented for instance).

Feel free anyways to offer feedback or reports of any bugs that you might find; hopefully however there won't be much [wink]

Source code is also available if you'd like to take a peek.

Cheers,
Darragh.
Advertisement
Sorry to completely ignore your topic, but Exile looks interesting - why is there no download option? :D

Oh yes, two more things:

Press F1 to get an 'in-car' / first person view. I find it's much easier to control the car when in this mode.

Also, a screen-shot for those just having a quick glance:

Quote:Original post by Mybowlcut
Sorry to completely ignore your topic, but Exile looks interesting - why is there no download option? :D

Hasn't gotten the 'seal of approval' yet. [smile]
Nah I just have to fix up some bugs before putting it up, in case it crashes when potential employers are looking at it. The Torque engine can be quite buggy so it's just screens for now [wink]

Give me a little while and i'll provide a link on-site to it...
Quote:Original post by Darragh
Quote:Original post by Mybowlcut

Hasn't gotten the 'seal of approval' yet. [smile]
Nah I just have to fix up some bugs before putting it up, in case it crashes when potential employers are looking at it. The Torque engine can be quite buggy so it's just screens for now [wink]

Give me a little while and i'll provide a link on-site to it...

There we go: [smile]

http://www.darraghcoy.com/storage/GameVS.7z

There's no manual for the game yet so this quick list of controls will have to do:

wasd - move
e - jump
space - interact with objects
left mouse - attack (melee)
middle mouse - cast equipped spell
right mouse - block (for combat)
tab - open equipment / spells menu (for equipping swords, spells etc.)
shift - sprint
caps - put on/off autosprint

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement