• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
3DModelerMan

Level ending checkpounts?

This topic is 3084 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on a game that needs characters to be able to move between areas like in Zelda, how there's multiple paths you can take to and from each area. I know how to make a simple switch to the next level, with a single preset spawn point. That just needs you to send a LOAD_NEW_LEVEL event, clear the current level, load the next, and move on. The thing is, I need the exit points of the areas to be linked together, while they aren't in memory at the same time. I was thinking I could just have the exit level checkpoint trigger the LOAD_NEW_LEVEL event, but send along the ID of the checkpoint in the next level, the one that links to the one the characters just reached, then load the characters after everything else, at the checkpoint with that ID. Does that seem right to you guys? How does everyone else do it?

Advertisement
Like you mentioned, just give the spawn points names and have the level triggers tell you which spawn point to use in the next level. This is basically how the original Half-Life did level transitions (and probably still does given the simplicity and effectiveness of the approach).

Yes, that'll work fine. Just have spawn points link up to checkpoint ID's from previous levels. If you are travelling back and forth between levels you may also want to save entity states too so you can reload them later.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!