What is the best software to get for creating video games

Started by
10 comments, last by warhound 13 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by liqwiz
1) make your own game-creation tool. it'll be the best for your game idea.
2) download dosbox and install QBASIC. at some point in time it was used for creating games, and your imagination is the limit.

I assume you're being sarcastic? Last time I used QBasic was some 12 years ago... and writing your own tools is only best if you know how to write good tools. A specialized but unusable tool is still worse than a generic but usable one... I've worked with 'tools' that were so horrible that it would've saved me a lot of time if I had just written their output files manually with a hex editor.

Either way, the original question is similar to asking what tools are best for creating a place to live. The answers will be vastly different depending on whether you're building a tent, an iglo, a shed, an appartment, a skyscraper... but maybe it's better to rent a room instead? Even then, there can be multiple ways to achieve the same, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.

It may be interesting to read some game post-mortems. Articles where game-developers discuss what went right and what went wrong during the development of a certain game.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Advertisement
Whatever way of developing games suits you the best is usually what you look for in the best tool for game development. There's waayy too many options out there to name one as the "best". It's just whatever you like best. :)

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement