What is the best 3D file format for static and non-static objects?

Started by
5 comments, last by K1nG Gr4H4m 13 years, 9 months ago
I'm working on a small space game and i have a friend willing to create the 3D assets for me. What I would like to know is what you guys think the best file formats are for static and non static objects.

I was thinking:

.obj for simple objects like meteors and space debris, and something else for the space ships (in the case I might want to include some kind of mesh deformation).
Advertisement
There are plenty of formats to consider such as Collada, FBX, DirectX.x to name the most common formats that also support animation. If I were you though, I'd try to keep it as simple as possible, and use the same format for both Static and Dynamic meshes. Sure there will be some overhead in this, but I doubt it will cause an issue.
Collada would be a nice format to use for both I guess but when i first tried using it (when it was still a baby) it was a bit of a nightmare to get working - have things changed much?
I used the ColladaDOM about 3+ years ago, has anyone used anything else that is maybe easier or more advance?
I would suggest using the Open Asset Import Library. As you can see it supports plenty of formats and is really easy to use. I've played with it a while back and it was quite easy to get it running. The best part about it is that you don't really need to care about the format when loading the mesh into your engine, unless you require format specific stuff (or at least this was my impression back then).
That tool looks fantastic, coupled with a nice mesh class i can see this working nicely thanks for the heads up.
Thank you SiS-Shadowman. I just wished I had known about it sooner. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement