Excercises in recursion

Started by
27 comments, last by alvaro 13 years, 9 months ago
Hi,
I am having problems thinking in recursive terms for solving a problem? Can you guys suggest some problems which are a fit for recursive domain ?

- Reverse a link list
- Factorial
- Sum of digits of a number.

Cheers!
Advertisement
Just implement a binary tree. Insert into or find an element in a binary tree is one of the most classic examples.

Implement Quicksort

-me
minesweeper: auto reveal of zero field. (I guess you know what I mean) It's a kind of floodfill.
- Depth-first search (e.g., solving the 8-queens problem).
- Alpha-beta search (e.g., chess).
Display all files under a certain directory.
Implement the A* algorithm.
-The map function on a linked list
-The map function on a binary tree

map should take a function (call it f) and a data structure (linked list or binary tree in these cases) and should return a new data structure with the same layout but with every element replaced with f(element). So if we have the list [1,2,3] and we call map on that list and the function square (which multiplies a number by itself), it should return [1,4,9]. If it's on a tree, it should return a tree with the same structure, just with the element changed.

Other related functions you could write are filter and fold (aka. reduce).

Look up the text book "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" (it's available free online through the MIT Press) and a large portion of the exercise questions will involve recursion.
List all files in a directory. Then list all files in all subdirectories of that directory.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

1) Print all permutations of a string.
2) Print all subsets of a set. You can represent a set as a string. For example, for "AB" it should print the empty string, A, B and AB.
Learn Haskell, or just about any functional language.
I always like to suggest something where recursion isn't just the way one could do it, but is really the most sensible way to do it.
For example Factorial can be calculated recursively, but for practical purposes nobody would sensibly do that. Same with the other examples posted by the OP.
Binary tree insertion or searching can be done recursively, but there is no need to since a simple loop is better. Self-balancing is another story though.
The algorithms that have to use recursion (or fallback to implementing an explicit stack - yuck) are those that make at least two recursive calls.

I would recommend implementing quicksort, or mergesort
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement