• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mind in a box

Shipping DirectX DLLs with the application is against the EULA...

This topic is 3007 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,
I've just read this thread here: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=521477

And as Evil-Steve said, shipping the DLLs with your Application is against the EULA. Now I'm confused, because looking in some folders, I've seen some commercial games, just doing so. For example Combat Arms comes with d3dx9_35.dll and msvcp71.dll + msvcr71.dll (from the VC++ redist)

Isn't that illegal? Just want to know that, installing the two packages for just a techdemo isn't worth the trouble for most people.

Advertisement
Technically, yes because the DLLs can't be patched via Windows Update if any problems (I.e. security flaws) are found - or rather the application will load the unpatched DLL from the games directory.

If you're just distributing a small demo and you don't want to create a complete installer, then I don't think anyone will mind, but for a "real" app you should really install the Visual Studio and DirectX redistributable as part of your installer (And you can do it silently so nobody will see / care).

I can do that silently? Because I have an installer set up which starts both files and the user has to klick next several times. And some of them think "DirectX, what the hell is that?" and press cancel. ;) And whats with the VC++ redist, how to do it there?

However, placing the DLLs into the folder for a demo might be a easier and smaller solution. The Redist + DX WebInstaller is kicking the demo about 20mb up :(

Both the DX redist and the VC++ redist can be ran silently. See this for the DX redist, and this for the VC++ redist.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!