Using Multiple Vertex Buffers... Is Killing Me

Started by
3 comments, last by spirit bomb 13 years, 9 months ago
Hello!

I cannot, for the life of me, make more than one vertex buffer function. I believe I know the problem, but due to a mixture of google failing me and poor DirectX documentation, I cannot solve this via teh interweb. The problem, i believe, is in the streamsource id.

This is how i set up my vertex buffer...

LPDIRECT3DVERTEXBUFFER9 m_pTerrainVB = NULL; //vertex buffer
LPDIRECT3DINDEXBUFFER9 m_pTerrainIB = NULL; //index buffer

d3ddev->CreateVertexBuffer(sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX)*m_dwTerrainVertices,
D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY,
CUSTOMFVF,
D3DPOOL_MANAGED,
&m_pTerrainVB,
NULL);

m_pTerrainVB->Lock(0,0,(void**)&pVertexData,0);
memcpy(pVoid, vertices, sizeof(vertices));
m_pTerrainVB->Unlock();

So when i make the call to display the vertex buffer...

d3ddev->SetStreamSource(0, m_pTerrainVB, 0, sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX));
d3ddev->SetIndices(m_pTerrainIB);
d3ddev->DrawIndexedPrimitive(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST, 0, 0, TOTAL_VERTICES, 0, TOTAL_POLY);

... only the first vertex buffer will be displayed. How would I go about making this to operate with more than one vertex buffer?

The First parameter of SETStreamSource() confuses me. I never told my direct3d device what the stream source id my vertex buffers should corrospond with. How would i set the number of their id?
Advertisement
hi, the assignment is done via SetStreamSource. For e.g. in your code when you call:

d3ddev->SetStreamSource(0, m_pTerrainVB, 0, sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX));

you are setting m_pTerrainVB to be in stream 0. How the stream are used depends on your FVF or VertexDeclaration. The FVF and VertexDeclaration tells directx that for a particular set of vertices obtain the data from the following sources. Hence if you set your VertexDeclaration to:

D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 vertexElement = {    {0, 0, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_POSITION, 0},    {1, 0, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_NORMAL, 0}};

this tell d3d that when taking the data for a vertex, obtain the position from stream 0, and obtain the normal from stream 1. You set the stream data using the SetStreamSource method

Hope this help you
THANK YOU MUCH! (I so rated you up)

That does help very much. Yet I am a bit of a slow learner haha...
How would one go about using this with your selected FVF? For example:

If I wanted to set up 2 vertex buffers with the same FVF, specifically...

//
struct CUSTOMVERTEX {FLOAT X, Y, Z; D3DVECTOR NORMAL;};
#define CUSTOMFVF (D3DFVF_XYZ | D3DFVF_NORMAL)
//

... would I do something like what follows:

d3ddev->SetStreamSource(0, vertex_Buf_ONE, 0, sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX));
d3ddev->SetStreamSource(1, vertex_Buf_TWO, 0, sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX));

D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 vertexElement_ONE = {
{0, 0, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_POSITION, 0}};

D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 vertexElement_TWO = {
{1, 0, D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3, D3DDECLMETHOD_DEFAULT, D3DDECLUSAGE_NORMAL, 0}};

And then i would somehow attach the vertexElement and the streamsource...
I feel a bit lost. Would I want to declare a vertex element in the init stage, or once per frame. I use the SetStreamSource() once per frame already, so that is why I ask.

Sorry if I am asking dumb questions, all my game programming experience is in 2d.

Thank you.

You need to use SetStreamSource every time you want to change the Vertex buffer that is used to render an object. If you have one buffer per object you need to call it for every object.

Multiple stream sources are used when you split your vertex data for one object in multiple parts. Like one for the position, another one for the colors and so on.

The vertex elements are used to describe how your vertex buffers are structured. Look for CreateVertexDeclaration and SetVertexDeclaration how to use them.
WOW, I feel stupid. It would seem that I actually know less than I thought I did. My notions of what streams were was completely incorrect. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement