[SlimDX] What happened to SampleFramework?

Started by
2 comments, last by Mike.Popoloski 13 years, 9 months ago
Hi, it's been some time I looked into my project in SlimDX and since I couldn't find any information on the forum about it, I'll ask. I used SlimDX August 2009 and I have just downloaded June release of SlimDX. I noticed a lack of examples, which I beleived their number will be increasing in the future not otherwise, but more importantly SampleFramework was cut to the bone. IResource, IGameComponent, VertexElementAttribute etc. are missing...
So if it was wrong concept or anything are there any hints what should I use instead or how to make it better?

Thanks for any help.

Regards Pavol
Advertisement
The sample framework is intended to be used to build samples, not actually applications -- but many people were viewing it as a XNA-like game framework and trying to use it to build real products. As that isn't the goal of the SlimDX project, we decided to refactor the sample framework to make it far less attractive as a game framework.

You can always dig back in the SVN history and recover the old framework if you really must, but we aren't going to support it any longer.
Ok, thanks for the answer, I read the article and I can see your point now, but I wonder if users see it the same way.
The problem I see is that this platform is made for the hobbists right? So what's wrong about you show them a way how to start and months later let them decide how they upgrade their Framework, but I worry, that when you removed this little help to start with along with examples, it will be even more difficult for someone to try out your library.
It's never problem to cut off what's not needed, but to figure out how to use e.g. animation without any example, it's not easier for us :)

But probably I'm wrong and it's not a problem at all, since no one have complained about it yet, just me :)

Otherwise good work on the library

Regards Pavol
The problem is that people were posting bug reports and feature requests for the sample framework and expecting us to maintain it at the same level of quality as the rest of the library. We aren't interested in providing such a framework, nor do we have the resources to do so, so we scaled it back and made it clear that its only use is for library samples.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement