• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Oshiruko

Physically based legged creature

This topic is 3000 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was thinking about doing physically-based locomotion for legged creatures in a game, but it's been hard to find resources for that. I realize it's pretty difficult, but I already have a physics engine that I'm using, and I'm fairly knowledgeable about AI, so I figure it's feasible.

Something like http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33301 would be an example of what I'm looking for, although I looked for the paper mentioned in that thread and couldn't find it.

Mainly I'm looking for a way for a dynamically simulated multi-legged creature (i.e. it's made up of rigid bodies and joints that are moved by applying impulses) to keep it's balance.

Does anyone know where I can find some resources on the topic?

Advertisement
I remember that work referenced in the Ogre forums. Very nice, indeed! Unfortunately, I do not believe there is a freely downloadable version of the paper. You would have to purchase it from SIGGRAPH or Eurographics.

Please look at my reply to this other, recent thread:

Teaching skeletons how to walk

The information there may be useful to you.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!