• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GrumpyMoose

C#/Mono Game Libraries

This topic is 3083 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First of all, I want to note that I'm still an extreme beginner at most of the stuff I will be asking you about, so please don't laugh at me for using the wrong terms and such.

I have been trying to get into hobbyist game development for the last two years. I've been using a vast variety of Tools, engines, languages, books, guides, tutorials etc. I've been having a lot of trouble finding the right thing for me.
Because I am very interested in programming in general (I am a computer-science student, and have just finished my first year with some troubles) I don't want to use any of those tools (By which I mean things such as Game Maker, Construct, Multimedia Fusion, etc.). I really want to program the game itself.

Now, I've had quite some trouble getting myself used to C++. At school they teach us Java (which I don't like all that much). I have begun using C# lately, and I'm really enjoying the language so far. It's a language I feel really comfortable with, and I never get the feeling I'm doing stuff that is unnecessary or overtly complicated. I started using XNA and I've toyed around with it for a while, just to see what it's all about. I really, really liked it. Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't allow Belgians to put games on the XBox Live Market, so XNA lost a lot of it's appeal to me (not that it's all about money for me, but developing games for the 360 was the cool part).

But I still want to continue doing stuff with C#. The first problem I had was that it was not Cross-Platform. I feel that being an Indie Dev (again, I mean that in the hobbyist sense) and not being Cross-Platform is means missing out on a lot of the fun. But I recently found out that it became Cross-Platform thanks to the Mono Project. Obviously I'm really interested in using Mono for game development.

But in all my searching across the vast interwebs I became lost in all the information. I encountered terms and information that made me unsure and soon I ended up in the same spot I began in. My question to you guys here is: are there any good Game Libraries for Mono so that my games are Cross-Platform? I am mainly interested in creating pretty simple 2D games, so I don't need a vast feature list. I'd also like to ask you not to give any "Learn to program first!" or "JUST USE GAME MAKER" replies, because I've gotten these a lot of times before. I know I don't want to use tools like Game Maker or Construct, and I know I still have a LOT to learn. Learning is just difficult if you don't have a goal.

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I'm assuming this is the right forum to post the question, even though it's a beginner question.

Advertisement
maybe SFML will suit you.

http://www.sfml-dev.org/

They support .NET and I haven't tried the latest release, but the older ones were very easy to get started with.

You won't see many "USE GAMEMAKER LOL" type answers on gamedev.

OpenTK runs on Mono (Windows/Linux/MacOS) and provides access to OpenGL/OpenAL. It's low-level, but you can compile your project on one platform and have it run on any other without modification/recompilation.

Quote:
Original post by liquorice
maybe SFML will suit you.

http://www.sfml-dev.org/

They support .NET and I haven't tried the latest release, but the older ones were very easy to get started with.

You won't see many "USE GAMEMAKER LOL" type answers on gamedev.

SFML certainly looks interesting. I had come across it earlier but I failed to notice it supported C# (and other .NET languages). I'll probably check out the some of the examples once I have the time.

Oh, and I didn't really expect any of those Game Maker comments (honestly, I was a bit intimidated by the high professionalism I've seen so far on GameDev.net, so I was a bit reluctant to post here with me being such an extreme beginner), but I've received a lot of comments from people or forums I thought were professional, just because they think that making 'simple 2D games' isn't real game programming.

Quote:
Original post by Fetze
--> ZweiDe <-- doesn't run on Mono but is Open Source and relatively easy.

I'm currently developing this using ZweiDe. You can do the same with OpenTK but ZweiDe already has some functionality you typically need in a 2D game. Also, you won't need to know much about OpenGL when using ZweiDe.

This also looks very interesting! It's a bit of a shame it doesn't run on Mono, but it might be good stopping point between where I am now and the road to a more complex language or library. Oh, and that stuff you're working on looks really good!

The last question I wanted to ask (that will probably expose my cluelessness even more) is how is SDL for making 2D games? On one hand I've seen people say that it is very complex, while on the other hand other people say that it's very easy to set up and get started (which is the way things usually seem to go when we're talking about Programming in general). I've seen a lot of 2D games use it. I even believe that I read that one of the Linux ports of Civilization II: Call to Power used it. And what exactly is the difference between the original SDL and SDL.NET, because the original SDL seems to support .NET (including C#)?

I've neither used SDL nor SDL.Net but considered to do it several times. However, I always felt it was too "blocky" and "big" for my (2D game) purposes as it coveres a lot of stuff I don't need at all. Also, it always seemed to prevent me from doing stuff I certainly need such as advanced rendering functionality (Shaders, etc.). I may have the wrong impression, though.

I second the suggestion for SFML. It's a great library and the developer is very active on it's forums to answer questions you might have.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!