Getting into the industry.

Started by
42 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 9 months ago
Hello all. :)

First of all, if this is in the wrong area, I do apologize.

I've been thinking of what I want to do with my life after I leave college next year. After thinking about it, I decided becoming a games designer would be the best path for me, as I like video games it should be a job that I not only enjoy doing, but can make good money out of as well.

So, I decided to go to university to study something to get into the games design industry (I live in the United Kingdom), but here is where I hit a brick wall. I don't know what part of the industry get into.

I'm not good at drawing, so that rules me out of the art and drawing business. What other parts of the industry are there? :)

Secondly, how difficult is it to break into the industry once you have all the qualifications? And is the pay good?

Thanks for reading, and thank you for any help or advise you can other. :D

~Designer2Be
Advertisement
Moved to Breaking In. Desi: View Forum FAQ (above)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:After thinking about it, I decided becoming a games designer would be the best path for me

Why?

Quote:I don't know what part of the industry get into.

Didn't you just say design?

Quote:I'm not good at drawing, so that rules me out of the art and drawing business. What other parts of the industry are there? :)

Research.

Quote:Secondly, how difficult is it to break into the industry once you have all the qualifications?

Define difficult. You can't simply walk in with or without qualifications. You HAVE to be good at what you do and be good at proving it.

Quote:And is the pay good?

Define good. Again, research.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Hi, and thanks for the reply. :)

Quote:
Quote:After thinking about it, I decided becoming a games designer would be the best path for me

Why?

I decided it was the best path for me because out of the things I had down, it would be in an industry of something I enjoy. I had other job options down but they looked boring. I want to enjoy my job.

Quote:
Quote:I don't know what part of the industry get into.

Didn't you just say design?

I know I put design down, but I do not know what departments there are, i.e. sound, coding, art.

Quote:
Quote:I'm not good at drawing, so that rules me out of the art and drawing business. What other parts of the industry are there? :)

Research.

Thanks for the link, I shall read through that.

Quote:
Quote:Secondly, how difficult is it to break into the industry once you have all the qualifications?

Define difficult. You can't simply walk in with or without qualifications. You HAVE to be good at what you do and be good at proving it.

How easy is it get your first job in the industry? I know it's different for everyone, I guess I was looking for examples.

Quote:
Quote:And is the pay good?

Define good. Again, research.

Good as in you can have a good life style with the income you earn. Again, I guess I was looking for examples. Thank you for the link though. :)

[Edited by - Designer2Be on July 4, 2010 3:34:42 PM]
Quote:Original post by Designer2Be

I replied too. I recommended you read the FAQ above. I know you haven't read it yet (it's not possible to have read it all already).

Hello Designer2be,

Secondly, how difficult is it to break into the industry once you have all the qualifications?

All the design qualifications?
Design is a lot of different things, and it's difficult to master all aspects
at once. That goes for most(if not all) of the arts, though.

Take programming / game development classes at night before proceeding,
to get a better idea of what you really want to pursue.
This will also give you experience, which you'll need anyways...

That's my 2 cents.

[Edited by - SuperVGA on July 4, 2010 4:48:47 PM]
Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper

I replied too. I recommended you read the FAQ above. I know you haven't read it yet (it's not possible to have read it all already).

Sorry, I must of missed your reply. I shall have a read through that aswell. Thank you.
Quote:Original post by SuperVGA
Hello Designer2be,

Secondly, how difficult is it to break into the industry once you have all the qualifications?

All the design qualifications?
Design is a lot of different things, and it's difficult to master all aspects
at once. That goes for most(if not all) of the arts, though.

Take programming / game development classes at night before proceeding.
That's my 2 cents.

Sorry, I used the wrong words there. I meant, once you have the qualification in the area you wish to work in, how hard is it to break into the industry.

And I am unable to take night classes as I am still in college and won't be able to afford them.

once you have the qualification in the area you wish to work in, how hard is it to break into the industry.

Very. So what? Read FAQ 26: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson26.htm

And I am unable to take night classes as I am still in college and won't be able to afford them.

Alright, then do tutorials online. The "Beginners" section of the forums
is a good place to start. Slopers articles are good although quite subjective. :P

Then again, so is all the advice you'll ever get, and I agree that you
should take a shot at it if you really think you'll like it.

The curious thing is that you believe it will be a nice thing to work with
because you like games. But there is, as with many other professions, more to it.

Otherwise, I'd might as well study to become a chef, a limo-driver and an athlete.

Now, I should get my kitchen, drivers licence and certificate or take trips to the stadium. In that way, I can get a feeling what it's all about.

Game development has several kitchens, or one very large one.
I may be missing some things here, but to spark interest in a different field than artwork;

-music and sound effects (this exists all over the entertainment field)
-programming (useful in many other businesses. economy, engineering etc.)
-designing (this may be very technical, and tells how programmers should do stuff on a large scale. )
-game concept (the idea. probably the one you can relate best to.)

It starts with the idea. Now search the forums for a good "first project",
and read the threads leading from a question as yours into a concluding:
1) "Guess a number game with C"
2) "Snake with SDL and C++"
3) "Pac-Man with OpenGL and C++"

And if you don't feel like touching the technical parts of a game,
keep practising your sketching. I drew on paper until I learned basic.
Then I messed around with that because I thought it was fun.

-And because I think programming is fun, I want a career in games development.
Mainly, I would like to be independent. Make small, entertaining games off my own ideas. I'm willing to spend years on my projects.

What I'm saying is, even though your idea of doing something fun and
profitable is good, something fun, now, shouldn't be eating. It should be cooking.

[Edited by - SuperVGA on July 4, 2010 4:34:27 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement