• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jorge89

My first post: what is the right language for me?

This topic is 2912 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'd like to begin by saying I don't know anything about developing but I'd like to learn. I know there are a few languages for developing like C#, C++, J2ME etc, but I don't know which one would be the right one for the game I want to develop. I want to make a 2D RPG for Android, with the hopes of learning how to make it that into a multilayer RPG that I could play with a few friends via Wi-Fi or 3G.

Advertisement
Thanks for the link, I already have the Android SDK since I've used it for rooting and flashing a couple phones. I'm not familiar with any coding language though, could some one point out what the differences are between the different kinds? is there one that works best for Android 2D games? are there differences in how easy or hard they are to write? I just want to know so I can get started on reading books about the coding language I need to learn.

Quote:
I'm not familiar with any coding language though, could some one point out what the differences are between the different kinds?
In practice, each language tends to be better at solving different kinds of problems. The semantics available in the language make expressing some kinds of designs easy, and some harder. The tools and compilers available make creating certain kinds of functionality under various constraints easy, hard, or impossible. Part of developer research is to find out what these restrictions and difficulties are in practice.

Quote:
is there one that works best for Android 2D games?
Java. It's actually very simple. Here's the first line from the Android documentation: "Android applications are written in the Java programming language."

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!