Car engine sound

Started by
1 comment, last by Brainsaw 13 years, 9 months ago
Hi,

I am planning to start a new project soon. It's going to be a car racing game, working title "drift and left die". I have most parts ready to go (car should behave like "the Car" in my IrrOdeCar demo from my IrrOde wrapper (http://bulletbyte.de/products.php?sub=irr&show=irrode)), but I just have no idea on how to get a nice sound for the car's engine. How is such a thing normally done? Use hundreds of small samples depeding on the rpm? Thanks for your replies in advance.
Advertisement
You seem to have the right idea. It is generally done by pitch shifting and cross fading between multiple engine loops (where an 'engine loop' is a looping sample of the engine in a particular state, ie. you'd likely have an idle loop, a low-mid rpm loop and a max rpm loop). The engine's rpm drives the pitch shifting through and cross fading between loops. The more good engine loops that you have, the better your engine will sound.

If you're especially motivated, other sounds such as supercharger/transmission whine, turbocharger spooling, road surface noise, etc. can be layered on top as well, though likely you'll drive them not using engine rpm, but something else.
OK, thanks. I'll have to do some testing and see if it works. I think I'll first record some sounds, maybe from a motorcycle (because I don't have access to any cool sounding cars ;) ).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement