• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mrsaat

Beginner - RPG game engine?

This topic is 2998 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone!
I am new here, so I might need your help.
My friend and I want to create an rpg game (diablo-style) and
we are wondering what game engine to use.
Apart from the cost, could you make any suggestions concerning the subject?
We want to make a list with the most suitable engines for an rpg and then we will decide.
And ofc we want to combine a good engine with a really powerfull 3d modeller (3ds max?).

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement
What sort of engine do you want? An easy to use one, or something that will help you with game dev in general?

The cost really depends on what engine you use. There's a lot of great free engines out there, such as Unity (check it out at unity3d.com) and there are also some more expensive engines out there too. My first suggestion would be Unity, as it is a great engine in general. I'm not entirely sure what your end goal is, so I can't really make any other suggestions.

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply.
What we have in mind is a game set like diablo or torchlight (i dont compare them, just came to my mind...). 3d surroundings with 3d models but the camera is not that close to the character. We have not decided if the graphics would be cartoonish or normal but this is something else.
Additionally, we want all the magic spells and stuff to be really impressive. I suppose unity could satisfy our needs for our first step?
No need for the engine to be easy to use, as long as it gives results!

Hi,

Do you have the book "Programming Role Playing Games With DirectX" by Jim Adams ? It covers all areas for RPG games programming.

It is definitely worth to read.

Ghostly yours,
Red.

From what you are saying, I take it that you just want to build a good game. My initial suggestion of Unity still stands, and I would also suggest Torque. These engines are pretty good, and should get you the results you desire. My personal preference goes to Unity, as it is free, and pretty simple to get the hang of.

@Antonym: The link seems to be really useful, thank you very much!
@Red Ghost: I have not read the book but I will find it since you suggest it.
@kryotech: Yes, we want to create a pretty good game (as far as this is possible concerning the competition), so we need a good engine that will make it possible for us. Unity is free, so I guess is a very good start to explore some aspects of our project. Later, we can reevaluate our needs and decide what to do next.

Thank you guys all!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!