• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
simonjacoby

Depth of field with real bokeh?

This topic is 2905 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

just played Alan Wake. They have a really nice depth of field effect, with what seems like real bokeh, and it's seems *really* fast. I've seen some shaders with bokeh before, but they are all slow (Metro 2033's diffusion DOF for example, looks very nice but brings even a GTX480 to it's knees). Does anyone know how they pull it off?

Cheers,

Simon

Advertisement
Just found an answer to my own question: A guy called Sebastian has updated the post-effect shaders for Crysis to do bokeh. Here's a link:

http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=59961&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=1

Gorgeous stuff.

There's a Tri-Ace presentation somewhere (sorry, no link) where they talk about their camera simulation including different kinds of bokeh for different aperture settings. I think one of the researcher's names is Masaki Kawase.

I think lost-planet did their bokeh by via some kind of R2VB trick - bright pixels were extracted from a down-sized buffer and used to generate 2d quads (textured with hexagons) at appropriate places on the screen.

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
There's a Tri-Ace presentation somewhere (sorry, no link) where they talk about their camera simulation including different kinds of bokeh for different aperture settings. I think one of the researcher's names is Masaki Kawase.

Here's the link for the wonderful presentation from Tri-Ace.
http://research.tri-ace.com/Data/SO4_flexible_shader_managment_and_postprocessing.ppt

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!