• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ajp29

Getting started with xml with android development

This topic is 3081 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I started looking into android development and realized how little I knew of xml. I picked up a book on android development and for the most part I get the basics of xml and some of the features of the platform but some things still confuse me and that is why I came hear for help.

1-XML issue-I understand that using xml is how you do the User Interface for the applications and games. I want to make sure i am understanding it right though. Here is an example.

<string name="app_name">ToDo List</string>
<string name = "add_new">add</string>

What i get from this is that there is a string called app_name and its value is ToDo List. Or did i get it completely backwards. I looked up the xml tutorial on the gamedev and it did help. This tutorials objective is loading resources from folders. Is that how you would do it with "add_new" and add?

2-How an android app works-When I used XNA I understood that the update and draw method were both being constantly updated. But in an example with a button being pressed and a counter being updated, i am not sure how that works. Is the application always being called? I am very new to application development.

Thanks for your help
ajp29

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!