• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ICUP

Should I Learn the WinAPI?

This topic is 3079 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quick background on my level of experience:
Taught myself C++ in high school/early in college (but majored in sociology), left programming for a while, came back to it, started messing with SDL and made two simple games with it (I have screen shots here: http://sites.google.com/site/alexohsite/project/completed-projects). After graduating, went back to school to get comp sci. degree (long story short: loved sociology but not its career paths). Been in school for three quarters now and I just finished the Java sequence. I learned this time around important data structures and algorithms like trees and the variety of different sorts that I didn't pay attention to when teaching myself C++. That's where I am right now.

So...I won't be taking another CS class for a while until I transfer to a 4-year university so I have spare time to work on hobby projects. As I've shown above in the link, I've made games with SDL but I also have ideas for games or game related tools that have features that SDL can't provide, mainly GUI related features. I realize there are SDL GUI libraries but I've checked them all out and they don't interest me. I need support for multiple windows which SDL does not provide.

As much as I love Java and its easy Swing GUI, I don't want to go back to using it mainly because I want to go back to using C++.

Is the Win32 API where I should head next? I do have an idea for a non-game but gaming related program where I need multiple window support and a versatile or decent graphics library.

Adobe Photoshop has features of what kind of program I want to create. For example the tools window, layer window, are separate and can be moved outside of the "main" window. (What API was Photoshop written in?)

Thanks in advance for responses.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by ICUP
Is the Win32 API where I should head next?
No. Nobody should be doing new WINAPI development. I'd suggest .NET, but if you're unwilling to pick up new languages, try Qt.

"Adobe Photoshop has features of what kind of program I want to create. For example the tools window, layer window, are separate and can be moved outside of the "main" window. (What API was Photoshop written in?)

Thanks in advance for responses."
Photoshop was written in C++ AFAIK.
Have a look at Paint .net. It's a photoshop clone written in C#.

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Quote:
Original post by ICUP
Is the Win32 API where I should head next?
No. Nobody should be doing new WINAPI development. I'd suggest .NET, but if you're unwilling to pick up new languages, try Qt.

What exactly is .NET? A different Windows API?

Hm, I just briefly checked out Qt in Wikipedia. Looks great...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!