• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
slicer4ever

View Fustrum Points

This topic is 3002 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello, i'm trying to implement a quad tree culling for my terrain engine, and to do so i need to know the points for the view frustum so that i can actually test my AABB's against it, my first step was to generate a mesh which contains all the points based on my camera, but i can't seem to figure out how to do this, any help is much appreciated.

Advertisement
It's not the corners of the frustum that you need, but rather the planes that define it. Here is a paper describing an algorithm for extracting said planes from a transform matrix.

Note that if you want to compute the frustum corners for some other purpose (e.g. debug rendering), you can do so by intersecting the frustum planes in sets of three.

Another way to do it would be to pass 8 vectors representing your post-transform unit cube through the inverse view*projection matrix. That'll get the corner points for your frustum mesh, and you can just construct the planes from there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!