• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
guyver23

Developing an Application for Mac in Windows or Linux?

This topic is 3079 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys! I need to develop a certain piece of software for a friend that uses a Mac. The problem that I have is that I don't actually have access to a Mac (the friend lives some distance away, so I cannot borrow his machine to do the development).

The obvious solution would be to create the application in Java and package it in a JAR file. I would like to know if there is another way to go about doing this. I do not like coding in Java and would very much prefer a C, C++, or even Objective-C alternative to this.

Is this possible? Can I really create an application in something other than Java and get it to work on the Mac? It needs to function as easily as any other program or it really won't work out for him (so if he needs to do anything beyond just double clicking, there will be problems).

Thanks in advance for any answers you guys can provide! ^_^

Advertisement
Look into mono, it might be what you're looking for.

http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:OSX

It should compete with the crossplatformness of Java, but for C# programmers.

C++ is option too, but I think youd have to have your friend do the compiling for it. You can use the GCC instead of the visual studio to ensure it will compile on his machine fine. When i've done some C++ on my mac, i found the GCC to be similar to visual studio, but there were some differences. Such as there's no easy to use setup for precompiled headers. Also, my game on the GCC ran and didnt display a few shapes. On visual studio, it hard crashed.

However, if mono is quite stable and is easy to develop with for multiple platforms, that would be a good route. C# is definitely easier than C++. However, I would also recommend Java. I don't know your reasons for not wanting to use it, but it's a pretty good cross platform language.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!