Make these games?

Started by
14 comments, last by bitexttech 13 years, 9 months ago
Why dont the big companies make a game, like an RPG first-person shooter such as STALKER but with Crysis/Metro 2033 graphics.

Also why dont they make an RPG like Dragon age: Origins, but much more open ended like Baldur's Gate, and with Crysis like graphics?

Advertisement
Why don't they make a game that combines the gameplay of Need for Speed with Grand Theft Auto, and where you can go to the arcades and enjoy some games of Virtua Racing, Ridge Racer, Daytona USA and Sega Rally?

But seriously, I guess the answer is that they did have other ideas than you have, or possibly they had ideas like you but prefered another one. Possibly they just did not have the time yet. Possibly the deemed it non-profitable. Possibly they have different preferences. Possibly the chalk board with the ideas burned down. Possibly possibly possibly.

Or more general: It is simply impossible to bring every single permutation found in the sum of all human brains into reality.
They haven't because there are countless permutations of possible games and each one has a cost associated with making it. Every time a "big company" makes a AAA game like those, it risks millions and millions of dollars on the hope that enough people buy the game. It takes a massive amount of compromise and risk-benefit analysis to decide to make a game.

That's why they haven't made the exact perfect game that you want. But seeing as your ideal games seem to be roughly "combine this game with that one", they're doing a pretty good job of hitting your main desires.
Why doesn't George Lucas make a movie like Star Wars ep 4 mixed with Taxi Driver, but with the visual style of Pocahontas?
Quote:Original post by shadow85
Also why dont they make an RPG like Dragon age: Origins, but much more open ended like Baldur's Gate, and with Crysis like graphics?

I think this is a reasonable question. They definately should do that :)
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
Why doesn't George Lucas make a movie like Star Wars ep 4 mixed with Taxi Driver, but with the visual style of Pocahontas?
word.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by scope
Quote:Original post by shadow85

I think this is a reasonable question. They definately should do that :)

It seems like the OPs main complaint is that games in general aren't up to crysis level graphics yet.

The reason for this is simple, All games have a limited budget, as a developer you can either burn it on creating fancy graphics and special effects (and then getting all that fancy crap to run smoothly on older hardware aswell) or you can spend it on something that actually makes the game better, for an RPG the graphics just aren't that important, there is so much else to spend the budget on.

Anyway, for the first one, the RPG/FPS with decent graphics i'd recommend looking at fallout 3 or Mass Effect.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Why don't authors write a book like Rainbow 6 mixed with The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic published in a hard-cover edition?
wow, I love this thread. Its so funny.

But seriously, if they made dragon age: origins, into a fully explorable world like baldur's gate, how much better dont you think the game would have been? It would have got a rating from 9.5 all the way up to 10. There sales could have doubled.

Instead they have to make the game linear to boredem, and then add small lil crappy expansion packs that are also linear.

....Oh yeah why dont they make a series like 'Lost', but this time they are lost on the planet endor, and the 'others' on the island are the 'ewoks' expermimenting on the planet.
Quote:
But seriously, if they made dragon age: origins, into a fully explorable world like baldur's gate, how much better dont you think the game would have been? It would have got a rating from 9.5 all the way up to 10. There sales could have doubled.

That's a logical fallacy. You are essentially projecting your own desires on to the larger demographic, which isn't going to work. You also don't have any hard evidence to back up the claim that their sales would have doubled, or that the ratings from reviewers would have increased. It's just conjecture and wishful speculation. You're also ignoring (perhaps out of lack of experience) much of the practical realities of software development that companies need to take into account.

You're dreaming. That's fine, there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not realistic or feasible to just say "hey let's make this, but with that extra thing" and magically have a runaway smash hit.

While it's a very different kind of game and not, per se, germane to this discussion as a product, Alan Wake is something to consider. Spent a very long time in development, something like five years, and had quite an ambitious scope -- possibly even more than was publicized in reviews and other media. Got at least a few high reviews (9.0 from IGN with 8.2 press/8.1 player, 8.5 from Gamespot, et cetera). Sold 145,000 copies or so during its launch month, according to the NPD. That's a commercial failure.

High review scores don't mean a game is good and don't mean its going to sell well. Ambitious, sprawling scopes don't mean that either -- plus they're expensive and risky.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement