[web] Any suggestions for free or cheap web hosting for flash/php/mysql game testing?

Started by
7 comments, last by Pthalicus 13 years, 9 months ago
I've been running a local xampp local server for testing but want to do some concurrent testing online. Does anyone have any recommendations for a free or cheap web host that supports php and mysql? This is for a flash game that will use php and mysql on the server side. It'll only be used for testing and not for running the actual game live, so prefer something quick and easy that's free or relatively cheap and hassle free.

Thanks!
Advertisement
This might get you started.

Incidentally, why do you need to be visible on the internet? Dynamic DNS + port forwarding on your router (if this option is available to you) would equate to the same.
Mostly just to have a couple other people help with testing from their machines and to be able to test remotely myself.

I guess I'll just search for one. Was hoping someone had a good experience with one because there are just so many options out there. I'm assuming they're all pretty much the same so I'll just pick one.
I recommend stormware's suggestion. DynamicDNS + port forwarding. Run your own testing machine at home.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Thanks, after doing some searching and finding any free or inexpensive hosting to be quite the hassle and a little shady, I think I'm going to do some research into DynamicDNS and port forwarding. I really just want to set something up so that friends can test it from their machines.
1and1.com is really cheap and very nice and professional.

I've been on their 9$ a month plan for like 5 years and have not had problems.

Included in that 9$ a month i have something like 3 domain names included, up to 300 subdomains, up to 300 email addresses, up to 100 MySQL databases, and i think either 20GB or 200GB storage.

I also have ftp access and sftp / ssh.

They also have a nice web based interface to do ANYTHING you could possibly want to do.. create subdomains, manage DNS, create FTP accounts, make password protected web directories (ie those that require HTTP authentication)

pretty fast access too.

There is literally nothing I am unhappy about with them.

They have more expensive packages too if / when you want to go more pro (if ever needed)
000webhost is pretty good and it's free!

As far as I remember, there's 3 MySQL databases, PHP, the works. Completely free too...
Dynamic DNS would propably be the best option. Take a look here: http://www.no-ip.com/
It is completly free, no it's not a trial. You get a free domain (something like this: www.yourname.no-ip.org) and you simply run a program every time you change your IP.

As for hosting, I would recomend iPage. Unlimited disk space, bandwith, email accounts plus marketing suits and domain for a great price.
soitsthateasy made a good suggestion, I used 000webhosting for a university project and it went quite smoothly. You can sign up to receive a free domain ending with co.cc too. It can be fairly awkward to set up initially, but you can use CPanel to manage the site, and a nice plus: 2 MySQL databases.

Saving the world, one semi-colon at a time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement