My First Program

Started by
5 comments, last by Strelok 13 years, 9 months ago
Ok, I'm starting to learn my first Programming Language, it'll be C# and I'm using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

But I don't know how to start coding a program in this software, I don't even know what I'll code to start learning.

So, I decided to start with this list:

-Calculator

-Pong

-Tetris

-Mario World Copy

So, how do I start coding in MVS2010?
Do you have any tutorial on this comrades?

Thanks.
Advertisement
If you do not 'know' programming with c# yet, then your list of projects is way too complicated for a beginner.

You should be doing things like a 'Hello World' program, simple input/output programs like asking the user his/her name/gender and then saying hello Mr/Mrs Whatever, you know basic console programs without graphics.

Then when you've made a few beginner programs and learned some things go on to console games like hangman, guess the number, etc. Then after that you can have a try at graphical programs.

As far as resources have you tried searching "C# tutorials", "C# lesson", "C# ebooks" in your search engine?

Also, I came across this ebook awhile back. I did not read it too thoroughly, but it assumes no programming knowledge and starts the reader out with console programs. It is a free pdf download, but a paperback version is also for sale. I think it may be okay for starters.
Quote:Original post by StrelokMicrosoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

did you pay for it?

You're going to have to learn the basics before you start making games like you suggested. Google, books or classes are the best ways to learn. I'd just google "Learning C# tutorials" and start from there. Coding is not like game makers programs similar to RPGMaker or Game Maker.

I'm not trying to be mean, but just letting you know you shouldn't bite off more than you can chew. Or you may find your self getting frustrated early on and quitting.

[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
@signal_
Thanks for the help man, NOW I know where to start, but I still don't know one thing, I'll explain it:

Example: I wrote an algorithm (C#) in notepad++, but how do I run what I just wrote?

Do MVS2010 do everything or I need other programs to compilate and do other things before running it?

@freeworld
Nah, I didn't pay for it yet, but I'm planning. Only if there isn't another software better than it for C#.
Quote:
Example: I wrote an algorithm (C#) in notepad++, but how do I run what I just wrote?

Do MVS2010 do everything or I need other programs to compilate and do other things before running it?

Once you've written the code, you need to compile and link it (using a compiler and linker :). Then it becomes an executable that you can run just like any other program.

MSVC gives you all of this (known as the 'toolchain'). So once you install it just cut and paste your algorithm from Notepad into VS then build it.

Check out the Express Edition of Visual Studio. It's almost the same as the professional edition, and it's free.
Quote:Original post by Strelok

I would advise downloading and reading the ebook I linked. It explains how to write and build C# programs using the Microsoft Visual Studio IDE.

Some clarifications: Microsoft offers express editions of visual studio that is free and is adequate for most hobby/indie user's needs. The ebook I linked explains how to get started using Visual C# Express 2008. You can still download this version if you'd like or download the 2010 express edition. There are some differences between the versions, but the 2010 express can do everything the 2008 express edition can do; the method to accomplish something may be different between editions; however, most things are straightforward. Extensive documentation is also available for Visual Studio IDE.

You write the code in Visual Studio C#'s IDE. Then you can build it and run it from within the IDE. This is good since you can also debug your code in this environment.

Edit: Too slow. Yep, what supamike said.
Thanks again comrades, I'm already reading that book. I'm having some issues downloading Visual C# Express 2010, but I'll try it later.

First of all I need to learn the C# sintax. This e-book is very good. It's a shame that there's no version in portuguese, but english will do.

Thanks again for the support, you realy put me in the right direction.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement