• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
magorian

OpenGL Learning (modern) OpenGL

This topic is 2999 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK, well it's been a very long time since I did any real OpenGL programming. I learnt OpenGL back before shaders even existed, and I haven't really upgraded my OpenGL knowledge since then. I have a good knowledge of the fixed function stuff though.

Anyway, I have two books at my disposal: Beginning OpenGL Game Programming 2nd Ed. and OpenGL Programming Guide 7th Edition. I was wondering, is it going to be worth my time reading the Beginning one, or should should I go straight for the red book?

But my main concern is this: my computer is stuck in the stone age, I have a single core CPU and a AGP GeForce 6600 256mb. From what I've gathered my video card supports OpenGL 2.1 and GLSL 1.20 and the books use OpenGL 3 and GLSL 1.30. Does this mean that on my hardware I can't actually do anything from these books? Or will it work, but in some craptastic fashion?

I really would love to learn the magic of these shader things, and how to draw stuff without using glBegin/glEnd. Thanks for your time :D

Advertisement
If you have a good handle on the principles of 3D rendering in general, you should read the specification itself. Honestly, I don't think ANY of the books out there do a good job of covering versions 3.0 and beyond, and the specs are well written and straightforward, and will tell you EXACTLY how everything works.

You can get an ATI card that supports 3.3 for a very low price these days. The changes that OpenGL 3.x brought along have been significant and the best way to go at this point is to forget about the older versions and start learning from the newest (core profile only) spec document. It's fairly readable too.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!