• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
VISQI

question about game programming

This topic is 3001 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey people,
i started programming about a year ago and i wasn't sure what i want to do but now i am determined to go for game programming, so i finished "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming, Second Edition" by Mike Dawson and hopefully understood everything in it thoroughly. i am hoping to start learning directx next from the book "Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX" by jim adams and reading a bit from "Game coding Complete, third edition" by Mike McShaffry. is that a good track or should i start learning a new language(thinking about Lua) or doing what exactly???

Appreciated

Advertisement
I think you've got some great books there. The Mike McShaffry one is definitely a good book to have.

Only other book I could recommend is "The Complete Reference C++" by Herbert Shildt, which I always have on hand when doing any C++ programming.

However, before jumping onto a DirectX game, I recommend you try writing a text game first in command line. This gives you some time to see what you can do without all the fancy stuff, and to strengthen your C++ knowledge. I challenge you to write an RPG in commandline! ^_^

I wouldn't suggest starting to learn a new language, not because C++ is some 'special language', just because you've already started it so keep learning how to program by continuing to use it (don't waste your time by making yourself learn a new language instead of concepts).

It sounds like you've already started 'game programming', but you're wanting to move into the realm of graphics? If that's the case, I'd take a look at SDL and SFML (You won't find books on these save maybe one or two on SDL) so you will need to read their API documentation and ask questions on the forums.

IF you *really* do want to learn a new language, I would suggest that you look into C#/XNA.

You seem to have already started off with C++, so a language change is not something I would recommend to you, and, frankly, it's not really that important for you to worry about what you use to accomplish a given task, as long as you accomplish it.

The books you've listed are all great, but they don't teach you programming. They give you an understanding of the tools such as the language, direct X library, and give you some tips to make your programming more effective. The real teacher is experience. You won't learn anything unless you practice it. Start creating. Begin to make games. Be innovative and challenge yourself. The initial game you make will be hard regardless of how simple it seems. The important thing is that you accomplish a task and learn from every mistake you've made along the way :D So get going. (oh... and don't make your projects half-assed. That way you're not learning anything and the end result will be worthless).

Quote:
Original post by GregMichael
Have you written a game yet ?

This.

Start to code, even if you don't know anything.
Learning from books without programming is almost a waste of time.

Wow, didn't expect that much replies in one day:)
i have written a simple 400 lines version of blackjack(it is pretty good :) and it was FREAKIN' hard considering this is my first game(Tic-Tac-Toe doesn't count xD) ) it was part of the final exercise in the book.
so from what i heard from you guys is that i should gain more experience by writing more games and not just reading, i am going to do both, i'll start with that text-based RPG game Anri challenged me to do :) and i'll continue reading on Game coding complete and a new book i just got "Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX" by jim adams, it teaches both about directX and RPG making
thx guys, really appreciated

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!