• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Storyyeller

Cross Compiling For Dummies

This topic is 3084 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I made a game in C++ for Windows, using Code::Blocks (and MinGW and GCC I guess). However, I am now interested in making a version for the Mac too.

The libraries I am using are SDL, SDL TTF,Mixer, and Image, Boost Filesystem, and Box2d. AS I understand it, these are all cross platform libraries, I should be able to build a Mac version of my game.

How can I do this? Are there any tutorials or guides to make the process easier? Do I have to build a Mac version of each of the libraries too? Besides compilation, are there any other issues I might need to watch out for? (dll formats, filesystem differences etc.)

Do you think something like this is feasible for a relative beginner? I've never done anything outside of Windows before.

Advertisement
AFAIK for mac specifically there are no good cross-compile tools. You will have to build on an actual mac machine running OSX. That's easy. Just load your code up in your favorite OSX IDE on your mac development machine -> hit compile -> fix compile errors -> profit.

Yes, you will need mac specific versions of your libraries.

Basically, cross-compiling is soemthing available only for and on some systems. You need the entire set of system libraries and headers for the target platform. For instance, for the major consoles 360/PS3/Wii you can cross-compile in the Windows environment.

-me

[Edited by - Palidine on July 7, 2010 8:37:13 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!