• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sai2006

simple 2d game

This topic is 2997 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi there i'm new here.i need some advice from you the smart and experinced guy in programming. i've just begun to learn C++ for game development. i tried to read as many books as possible focusing on game programming but quickly got disappointed as all of them were very promising at first but after several chapters ended up with some game engine to begin with further development.all i need is just something very basic and i want to make my own game step by step from very beginning to end even if it's a very simple thing like one ball rolls from here to there but it seems quite hard for me to find one like that.

thx in advance.

Advertisement
Do you know how to program? If not stop reading game-making books and start reading some programming books. Write some more-basic programs to build a foundation and then you can move onto the harder stuff[a 2-dimensional game].
You wouldn't build a house before you let the concrete dry would you? :D

Andre Lamothe, look up his books, his teaching technique doesnt use an engine, its all straight out of the IDE... his more recent books were with direct x tho, but that isnt an engine its an API, I dont use engines either I create my own. ;)

"Secrets of the windows programming gurus" was a book I used that taught me well, teaches you the basics of windows programming (which is essential if your game is going to live in windows) and also some odds and ends of video game making, its a really fat book and I recommend it to you.

I understood it without even trying ages ago when I was a lot younger, so you should be able to take the heat.

But all the direct x in it would be out of date by now, your not even allowed to call direct draw anymore, but it will give you an idea of how to do it, then read the microsoft tutorials. (Cause thats where just about everyone learns direct x from) Even Andre himself, he just words it all nice and easy for you.

Possibly dx10 and dx11 are a bit radically different from dx9 and before, so you might have a bit of trouble learning dx10 and dx11, but dx9 is still good if you find some info on it... hell im still using dx9 now, I just havent been able to afford a new computer for a while so itll stay that way for the time being.

In my opinion dx10 and dx11 are both made like shithouse (I did learn dx10, but it was a complete disaster! and dx11 unfortunately is built on the dx10 system) compared to the older versions, They made it so you had to type more to get the basic game up and running, shaders especially, and thats a big no no in my opinion, but like what can you do about it?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!