• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Xata27

Using quake?

This topic is 3077 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I was wonder are the quake source code releases really the engine itself or is it a mod?
Should I use DarkPlaces then? It seems to fit my needs, I just hae no idea where to get started using a Quake Engine

Advertisement
The Quake source code releases are really the engine + game. It's just a source code dump. You are going to have to comb through it ans learn it before you can do anything with it. It won't be too much use to you if you can't program competently in C/C++.

Why not go for the UDK, or Unity instead? They are much easier to get started at, and have proper, professional communities and support behind them. UDK has great tools for dropping in your content, and you can script with UnrealScript, which can be easier to pick up if you aren't familiar with C/C++.

Quake source code is complete, but you don't have the assets (texture, levels, sounds, etc). You need to buy the game for that. We don't know what your goal is, but as Daaark mentioned, Quake is quite old with no support and especially don't use any of today technologies, making everything much more complex. I don't know specifically about DarkPlaces, but I'm aware there are a lot of ports who implemented hardware-accelerated graphical API and thing like that.

If you went the Quake engine route then DarkPlaces would be your best bet, with all the modern blah blah. IIRC it's even being used for a commercial spin off of Nexuiz.

But, unless you are wanting to make something 'Quake like' there are probably better options, a few mentioned above even.

Oh and in the Quake engine the game code (well, a lot of it) is written in a custom scripting language, not C or C++.

Quote:
Original post by magorian
Oh and in the Quake engine the game code (well, a lot of it) is written in a custom scripting language, not C or C++.
I know Quake1 uses QuakeC, but what does Quake2 use? I remember there used to be custom compiled .dlls you'd drop into a folder for that.

The quake source will also work with the shareware/demo game data.

These games are very old, very simple, and are tens years out of date. When I load Quake2 on my modern era machines, all the rendering methods have to use slow fallback techniques, because all the old OpenGL extensions are not found.

UDK is much more mature and modern. The toolset it comes with to create data for it is MUCH better than the old Quake toolset. QERadient was just a barebones level editor with a lightmapper. Unreal has a whole suite of tools.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!