• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Denzin

Developer's console

This topic is 2997 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Currently I have the task of creating a developer's console which will act as an active log window and give testers the ability to stimulate events by sending commands. I'm seeking advice on approaching this situation, should I create a separate window for this or just draw an overlay with directx when the window is active (keypress trigger). Anyone know any resource on getting this structure together?

Advertisement
Are you talking about an in-game console as is typical of many first-person action games (e.g. those based on the various Quake engines)? Or are you talking about a more in-depth 'developer-only' tool that would only be used during development of the game?

Also, what sort of features would this console have? What are the 'events' and 'commands' you refer to?

it would be a developer only tool with functionality similar to somethings you see in fps games, spawning entities ect, however would also have more control over developer only commands like virtually simulating in game events for stress testing etc.

if the users don't need to see it, don't get yourself into trouble with your own GUI unless it's already strong and supports the type of stuff that people expect (scrolling windows, sliders, checkboxes, radio buttons etc.)

just code it in win 32 dialog window.

The project i'm working on will need a strong GUI and it is something I would like to add to my code stock for later use.

There might well already be a library you can use that will let you bind functions to the console. For example, my Python/PyGame game was able to use pyconsole very easily; just initialize the console, tell it what functions it needs to expose, and choose a key to activate/deactivate it.

Take a look around and you may find this problem has already been solved for you.

Well if your going to use windows api console u may as well just use the console window.

But i would think u would need to make a text box, and entry field.

And parse the entry, and bind functions to keywords.

But if any one has some source code or tutorials i would like to see as well. as im also going to implement one.

Just a question is it better to implement one from the beginning? or is it something u would add in at a later point?

Thanks Lloyd.

Quote:
Original post by Derakon
There might well already be a library you can use that will let you bind functions to the console. For example, my Python/PyGame game was able to use pyconsole very easily; just initialize the console, tell it what functions it needs to expose, and choose a key to activate/deactivate it.

Take a look around and you may find this problem has already been solved for you.

me and my team are actually using c++/lua for our project, although that python console will definitely help on later projects.

I would not mix the log view with the interactive console, simply due to avoid the hassle of log messages popping up asynchronously during writing an input line.

IMHO especially consoles for developers/designers should be able to be separate from the main screen. E.g. a 2 monitor set-up, where one monitor shows the game in full-screen and the other monitor shows the developer tool windows (like the console and the log view) would be a valueable feature. However, they should be able to run as overlay, too, because not all testers may have a second monitor at hand.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!