• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Gelatin

Please lead me in the correct direction

This topic is 2908 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone,

I have read the entire book of "Sam's teach yourself C in 21 Days" and I also read "Sams teach yourself C++ in 21 days" so to say the least, I have a large knowledge of program development in C and C++. I (honestly) have NO IDEA where to go from here. If it matters I use Linux. I am quite tired of my large console projects just being scrawny little text games.

Back to the main point:
Please do not tell me to look somewhere else like Google, because I need real answers, not links. Just tell me specifically what would be the best way for mt to start making games that have a GUI (Graphical User Interface).

Thanks in advance
-Gelatin

Advertisement
As far as the C, C++ thing goes, just pick one. I'd recommend going with c++.

Once you are settled on your language, then I think it would be fruitful to make some simple 2D games; based on your post I infer that you've already made many common console games like hangman, guess the number, a simple roguelike/simple text rpg, whatever. Now you can adapt some of your console games to graphical games or add some new easy games like pong, break out, scrolling space shooter, etc.

So I'd recommend trying SFML or SDL. These are easy to use 2D APIs that will allow you to make 2D games.

Once you have the basic idea down, you could then use OpenGL or DirectX, if you wish.

Also, welcome to the forum.

Edit: damn I am a slow typist. PrestoChung speaks the truth.

Quote:
I have read the entire book of "Sam's teach yourself C in 21 Days" and I also read "Sams teach yourself C++ in 21 days" so to say the least, I have a large knowledge of program development in C and C++.
But reading a couple of books doesn't mean much of anything. To demonstrate competence, yoo should have significant experience writing programs on your own in that language. If you've mostly stuck to following the book, then you haven't gained that experience. It's even more important with C++, which has a very long learning curve.

Furthermore, knowledge of languages says nothing about your competence as a programmer. Languages competence is not programmer competence. The latter fundamentally is about your ability to tackle problems with technical rigor, about your competence at gaining insight into design problems and coming up with solutions, and the rest of the non-language specific knowledge and experience.

Which, I'm assuming by your post, you have none of.

Quote:
I am quite tired of my large console projects just being scrawny little text games.
Then make a larger text game. Add in complexity slowly. Because of what I mentioned above, you don't want to then set objectives that challenge you beyond what you are comfortable with.

I like recommending text adventures and roguelikes. Those are projects that allow for quite a bit of complexity, various game ideas, and are good tests of your ability to function as a programmer.

Quote:
Please do not tell me to look somewhere else like Google, because I need real answers, not links. Just tell me specifically what would be the best way for mt to start making games that have a GUI (Graphical User Interface).
if you already did you research, you came across links to SDL, SFML, etc. I don't think what you are asking for answers. I think what you are asking for is the magic wand of limited effort.

And there's no such trick. That's the real answer, and the real question is whether you are willing to accept that.

So to sum up the advices in the thread:

Code. Write programs. Even if you don't know much.

sorry, I'll quote myself (since that very same question is asked here 2 times per day, and I'm very bored of typing the same stuff over and over again):

"I say the best way to learn is by doing. If you encounter a problem in practice, look into that particular problem/topic."

"Oh, and a thing I say all the time: learning from just books without practice is a waste of time.
You learn stuff with struggling, boring to death in a year, while you could learn those stuff in a month or two if you make programs as well and have a good time too.

A lot of guys make the mistake. No wonder why are quite a lot of "lost motivation" threads. And threads that show that the person after a year or more learning is totally stunned when it comes to actual coding and problem solving."

That means, move on, like oler1s said. Start doing graphic games (2D) for example. Even if you don't know anything about the stuff involved in 2D games.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!