Std::cin alternative?

Started by
21 comments, last by alvaro 13 years, 9 months ago
I am trying to write a sort of chat program. However, right now the client can only recieve messages until it has sent one because std::cin must wait until the client has pressed enter. Is there an alternative to this?

Thanks.

#include <SFML/Network.hpp>#include <iostream>void DoClientTCP(unsigned short Port){	// Create a TCP socket for communicating with server	sf::SocketTCP Client;	sf::IPAddress Address = sf::IPAddress::GetPublicAddress();	// Connect to the specified server	if(Client.Connect(Port, Address) == sf::Socket::Done){		std::cout << "Connected to server " << Address << std::endl;	}	std::string message;	while(1){		std::cin >> message;		// Send the message		sf::Packet packet;		packet << message;		if(Client.Send(packet) == sf::Socket::Done){			std::cout << "Message sent to server : \"" << message << "\"" << std::endl;		}		if(Client.Receive(packet) == sf::Socket::Done){			packet >> message;			// Show it			std::cout << "Message received from server : \"" << message << "\"" << std::endl;		}	}	// Close the socket when we're done	Client.Close();}
Advertisement
Have you considered having a send thread and a receive thread?
Not really familiar with threads :S.
Or some form of non-blocking input.
It's not a bug... it's a feature!
What non-blocking input could I use?

Thanks.
Append individual keypresses to the message and send when character==Return.

You'll also have to poll for receiving or you won't be able to send multiple messages until a message is received.

EDIT: I understand, if you've never done threads, writing multiple thread code is not a fun thing to learn/test. However, if you're going to play with sockets, that's really the best path to take.

[Edited by - Buckeye on July 9, 2010 7:19:43 AM]

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

Thanks for the replies. I've tried google but I am a little confused. What is the standard function for handling key presses in console?

About the polling, I think SFML does that for me, the Send and Recieve functions don't block.

What a pain. Would you mind pointing me to a resource for getting started with threads?

Thanks again.
If you're using Windows you can catch the keypress events as they happen and append those characters to the message until the user presses return or whatever is your send key at which point you can send the message and clear the current message buffer.
It's not a bug... it's a feature!
You can use the curses.h (=conio.h in Windows) to get non-stopping keyboard input, and then you just check when enter was pressed to send the string:
#include <stdio.h>#ifdef WIN32#include <conio.h>#else#include <curses.h>#endif#include <string>using namespace std;int main(){	string s;	char c;	while(true)	{		if(kbhit())		{			c=getch();			if(27==c)				break;			else			if(13==c)			{				printf("SENDING s=%s\n",s.c_str());				s="";			}			else			{				s+=c;				printf("s=%s\n",s.c_str());			}		}	}}
I don't think it's that easy on non-Windows systems. The header <curses.h> does exist on many systems, but as far as I know it's not compatible with <conio.h> (e.g., no kbhit(), you have to change the terminal to non-delay mode...).

If platform independence is important, it can probably be achieved by using SDL.

What systems are being targeted here?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement