• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
test86

Help a lazy programmer do his work in his bedroom.

This topic is 2902 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I'm doing a job from 6am to 2pm that leaves me home around 3 pm on most days. I spent some of last year developing my game that I had to delete most of it because I went to a dead end and I have to start again. I bought a good book and have everything I need to develop my game but the problem is I can't force myself to.

I don't know what is the problem or why I don't want to do it but hurts me everyday that I don't work on my game. Game dev is like the thing I love to do (even though I know I probably won't make alot of money) but I donno why I avoid it.

In my morning job I always dream about game dev and read blogs and follow news on indies all over the world but when it comes down to actually working on my game, I refuse/resist.

I'm more productive in the library but the only library that has power outlet is far and I don't have much time to go there and come back everyday.

I'm posting this to find out what techniques you guys know for a bedroom programmer or techniques to fight laziness.

I'm so desperate to find a way to fix this.

Best regards.

Advertisement
This may seem like a little more of an extreme solution, but I was reading yesterday one programmer found it incredibly helpful to take his computer to some kind of office setting or space where he wasn't at home and was forced to work on his stuff. The library is a decent idea but maybe a buddy or someone knows of some open office space?

I am experiencing a similar issue where I come home from a day at work and want to program something but have a hard time just focusing on it. For myself I consider it a problem with my motivation and typically attribute it to not being excited enough about what I'm working on. If I was excited about it, the project would generate excitement to get it done...

I have a hard time coding places that are setup as areas of relaxation like bedrooms and livingrooms. I just can't get in the right mind set or I'm too distracted. I found simply moving my laptop into the kitchen got me productive again. If that room stops being productive then I move again. Might be a tad harder if you're working from a desktop computer though.

Also, I found that programming got to be a significant drag because I was never really working on stuff that I wanted to be. The things that I felt that I was required or expected to do or required to learn were getting in my way. There comes a point where (for awhile anyways) you have to put the books and expectations of others to the side (far far to the side if need be) and just code something. Make programming fun again.

I think you have to figure this out on your own. I know for me, coding from 10:00pm to 6:00am or so usually works because it eliminates all of my real-world distractions. Also, taking a shower before I start and grabbing an enjoyable beverage is also helpful. Sometimes the simplest things can create a productive working environment. Good luck finding out what works for you.

err im new here too... I havent done much programming in a while as i havent had my computer for a bit. (Moved a while back and had to have it shipped to my by family back home.) One thing that makes it easier to keep moving is switching tasks from time to time. Coding... can get super boring.... if... you .... do.... it ... for a long period of time. When i work on projects i do my own models, maps, textures / skins, sprites, animations, sounds, music... etc. So what helps me keep things moving forward is to switch back and forth between them. If you have someone else handling the media side to your game... well i dont know what to tell you... the end product is the thing that helps me hash through it. Another idea you might try that always helps me: If you do concept art of things that your trying to accomplish, hang them up around your work area. If i have the pictures of what i could create around me while im working, it helps to keep me focused on what my overall goals are. Anywho as a first post i hope that was inspiring or helpful to you... if not well good luck anyway.

You need to somehow reinforce your dream, can you remember a time when you were doing LOTS of work and you dont even know how you did it now?
Thats because you were full of enthusiasm and thinking positively, It can become a drag when you feel like your not getting anywhere, and that can happen a lot cause game dev is a tricky business, just let your small successes "hypnotize" you into thinking your gonna output a game that is going to be VERY SUCCESSFUL and youll have 1000's of players and a good community.
THINK POSITIVE!

Its actually not far from when you first start a project that you will be laying in the final code for it to be finished, (it couldnt be more than 2-6 months depending on how involved it was, dont work more than an hour or 2 a day, even if some days you can only put in 15 minutes cause your really feeling battered thats good for a days work.) its just a matter of patience for you to keep working and waiting for that final moment.

Its really the dull failures thatll drag your spirit to the bottom of the barrel, and it takes great strength and character to get out of the barrel again and start thinking in a more productive way.

Theres no end to the amount of failures you will meet when your putting together a program (alot of my projects dont get finished, and it is a total drag) but I somehow try to convince myself that my next project will possibly be the one and im learning each time I fail anyway, and eventually I will always believe that one day my ideas will all fire off a five star production!

But the whole concept here drags us all down man.

But my best advice is DONT WORK TOO HARD... 15 minutes to 2 hours(on a good day) is all you need to do to keep your project steadily marching forwards.
The rest of the time you could be doing your emails, surfing the net, playing games for inspiration, posting on forums like gamedev, etc, anything you want, and as long as you did your half an hour that day (a couple of features) you can be proud of yourself for doing your daily programming.

What I have found most helpful is to creat a secduel. Makje sure you know you have to have this coded byh a time. It keeps me on track. And try to do it in a quite place so I guess a library works.

I think you shouldn't need to force yourself to do this. Its things you don't want to do that you have to force yourself to do... Personally when I get programming things that interest me then its the other way round, I have to force myself NOT to programme (and eat sleep etc :P).

The question is, why don't you want to programme? surely if its somehting that interests you and that you want to do then you should have no problem. I have to say I've not worked on my stuff inprobably a month now but I know when I do work on it then it'll probably be non-stop for a month.

So either pick up somehting you will find interesting, maybe something you 'd like to implement in your game or a new character you'd like to create etc and work on it. I find its easier to get started once you have a clear, achievable goal in mind. If not just take a break for a while, no harm in that and you can't force creativity (forcing tends to have the opposite effect).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!